• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Car - 2009 Prius

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Car - 2009 Prius

Hello guys!

I've done a lot of reading here and it really seems like most of you know your stuff. I'm new and will probably be staying around for a long time.

Question - my car is 10 days old. Part of the deal when I purchased the car was getting another clear coat (sealant - Sealtek ACR) put on the car. I guess new cars come with a clear coat anyway, but this was added on top of that.

When can I wax the car for the first time?

Since the car is bran new, I probably don't need to do the 5 step method?

Just step 1, 4, and 5 (maintain)?

Does this sound right?

Please help

Thanks

Mark

P.S. I believe I miss spoke about the added clear coat. What they did was add a paint sealant, not clear coat. Sorry about the confusion.
    Last edited by markymo01; Oct 19, 2008, 08:42 AM.

Re: New Car - 2009 Prius

I have an 08 Prius and mine is white. I bought it and the first thing i did that weekend was wash, then clay the entire vehicle. Even though my car only had 22 miles on it, it had a ton of overspray. I would wash, clay, and then wax.

Comment

The paint is baked on at the factory... so you are good to go.

If you want to keep it simple at first, here is what I would do:

1. Wash
      2. Clay
      3. ColorX
      4. Nxt 2.0

And then UQD for maintenance after future washes.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

So wait a minute, they put a new sealer on top of the original paint after you bought it? If so that is not good in my eyes, seems to me like all the fall out and whatnot is sandwiched between the two clears. Someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that Sealtek ACR is just a wax type sealant product...maybe like M21. It's made by Blue Coral and is discontinued (from what I've read). Other online detailers charge about $150-$175 for an application. A gallon of it runs about $30, so it's a pretty big money maker.

Wouldn't exactly call it a "second clear coat".
          NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

You may want to clarify. This Sealtek, is this a paint protection plan. By that I mean the dealer wants you to come back every 3-4 months for a "booster". If so I would check with them because If that is the deal you may void the warranty on the sealtek, by doing it yourself.

If this is what they used to deliver your car, I would not worry about it. Then I would do the following:

Wash
            Clay
            color-x
            nxt 2.0

Enjoy your new car.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

Hello,

In step 3 you state using ColorX. ColorX is not a pure polish right? Would it be better to use Deep Crystal Polish, which is a pure polish, because the car is bran new?

Thanks

Mark

Comment

Well, a pure polish has no cleaning ability. So, I figure if the car is dirty enough to clay, (which any car that has been transported around usually is), then the paint could probably use a cleaner as well.

ColorX is cleaner/wax that will be a mild cleaner when applied in a normal/gentle way, and it also contains polishing oils and wax. Since 2 coats of wax are recomended, it also counts as your first coat of wax.

So while there is nothing wrong with what you wanted to do, you could also work in a cleaning step and your first wax step with the same effort.

Also, you could also add the color of the car to the debate. You may see more of a difference on black than you would on white.

Comment

Thanks Murr1525,

My car is dark grey! So using Color-X would make since.
                  Would it be ok to use DC paint cleaner instead.

I purchased DC and I'm waiting for it to arrive.

Thanks

Mark

Comment

Sure.

You'd be looking at:
                    1. Wash
                    2. Clay
                    3. DC1
                    4. DC2
                    5. Wax
                    6. Wax

I actually meant to say that the darker the color the more the pure polish may be noticeable.

Comment

Thanks Murr1525,

I will go with your advice and start this weekend!

Using light pressure for all the steps is good enough right?

Thank you

Mark

P.S. How long should I wait between step 5 and step 6?

Comment

Polishing and waxing only need light pressure.

Cleaning is more variable.... In you situation, I would imagine light is fine. If you were using a product trying to remove swirls, etc, then more would be needed.

Well, for absolute best looks, it would be 12-24 hours between waxing steps. But more realistically, about 15 minutes is fine. (apply, let dry, remove, wait, apply, let dry, remove)

Comment

I have an 09 Tacoma with the sealer as well. My truck is about 2 months old & the sealer was applied by the dealer. When i bought the truck it was on the showroom floor so it's not been exposed to the enviroment much. What stops/products should i use now & in the future? iIdo have a bottle of sealer that came with the truck.

Comment

Originally posted by sdprius858 View Post
                            I have an 08 Prius and mine is white. I bought it and the first thing i did that weekend was wash, then clay the entire vehicle. Even though my car only had 22 miles on it, it had a ton of overspray. I would wash, clay, and then wax.

Actually, if the car has some light scratches or swirl marks or anything like that, you could probably use SwirlX or Meguiar's Cleaner Wax instead of ColorX, and then use NXT 2.0

Enjoy your new ride!
                            Shane
                            1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

Suggested Products for new car
                              Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');