• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finding defects on a silver car...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding defects on a silver car...

My wife's car is a 2007 Civic EX (silver) and I have the hardest time trying to see defects out in the sun because when the sun hits it the silver flakes are so bright you can hardly look at it up close. So far I have tried using a halogen lamp (the kind on stands) and I've had no luck with it at all. Maybe I'm holding it too close to the car... 2-3ft away.

The only place I can really see "defects" or any fine scratches is on the top of the car when its parked in the garage using the florescent light from the garage door opener.

I will be buying the Brinkman Dual Xenon so maybe that will help. Any tips will be great!

Re: Finding defects on a silver car...

I put sunglasses on when inspecting paint in direct, bright sun and it greatly helps me to find the swirls or scratches that I would otherwise be too blinded by the light to see.

I also find that getting my head horizontal with the surface and moving a light around about a foot or two away and varying the angle as I move it helps me to find the "sweet spot."

It's not easy, but it can be done with a little practice. Sometimes you even need to play with "the focus" of your eyes...almost going crossed eyed to an extent.

Comment

I agree with Mark on the sunglasses, they take the brightness away so you see the swirls/scratches.

Ryan
      Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

Originally posted by hondamtrco4life View Post
        My wife's car is a 2007 Civic EX (silver) and I have the hardest time trying to see defects out in the sun because when the sun hits it the silver flakes are so bright you can hardly look at it up close. So far I have tried using a halogen lamp (the kind on stands) and I've had no luck with it at all. Maybe I'm holding it too close to the car... 2-3ft away.

The only place I can really see "defects" or any fine scratches is on the top of the car when its parked in the garage using the florescent light from the garage door opener.

I will be buying the Brinkman Dual Xenon so maybe that will help. Any tips will be great!
        If you can't see them normally stop looking for them . Does your wife really care about them anyways? This is why all my cars are silver.

Comment

COOL - so its not just me, i have really want to polish my car, but the silver makes it so hard to see the defects that i know are there...

Comment

Originally posted by JTOWN View Post
            COOL - so its not just me, i have really want to polish my car, but the silver makes it so hard to see the defects that i know are there...
            If it isn't truly a show car, I would suggest simply polishing with a medium polish that is very safe such as M80, followed by either M82 or #7 for a little extra gloss/pop, and then seal her up with the wax of your choice.

I think you will be happy with the results, even if some small problems still remain...considering how impossible they are to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
              If it isn't truly a show car, I would suggest simply polishing with a medium polish that is very safe such as M80, followed by either M82 or #7 for a little extra gloss/pop, and then seal her up with the wax of your choice.

I think you will be happy with the results, even if some small problems still remain...considering how impossible they are to see.

You betcha'!

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Pocket_Aces View Post
                If you can't see them normally stop looking for them . Does your wife really care about them anyways? This is why all my cars are silver.
                For some people the whole "if I can't see the defects easily I don't care about them" mentality may work but I'm not like that. I want to maintain the defects (however many there may be) and keep them down to about 10-15%. If it was a show car I would expect perfection but it's not therefore I don't expect that. What is my wife's is also mine so yes we both care about the finish on the car.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
                  I put sunglasses on when inspecting paint in direct, bright sun and it greatly helps me to find the swirls or scratches that I would otherwise be too blinded by the light to see.

I also find that getting my head horizontal with the surface and moving a light around about a foot or two away and varying the angle as I move it helps me to find the "sweet spot."

It's not easy, but it can be done with a little practice. Sometimes you even need to play with "the focus" of your eyes...almost going crossed eyed to an extent.
                  Thanks! That's a pretty good idea. I will try that.

I'm not "hunting" for defects on my cars but when I polish them I need to inspect the finish and make sure that everything is corrected and looking good. All I was trying to say is that a silver car is a little harder to inspect and I thought you guys would have some good tips. Thanks for all the helpful tips!

Comment

Thanks guys, another great tip. Using the sunglasses to reduce the glare to find the defects. Will try this next time.
                    quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by hondamtrco4life View Post
                      I have the hardest time trying to see defects out in the sun because when the sun hits it the silver flakes are so bright you can hardly look at it
                      This is why silver metallic paints are the best color to choose if you don't want swirls to be noticeable, when you look at the paint in bright light it blinds you where with most other medium to dark colors you will see the swirls.

If you were to look through all the photos posted from our Saturday classes you won't find a single silver metallic paint job that we chose for a demo car that's because our students would simply be blinded trying to see the before and after results after the demo and we pull the car into the sun to inspect.

For people that don't want to make detailing a hobby and don't want to pay someone to maintain their car's finish, light silver metallic is the way to go.

Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thats the good thing about light color car. Swirl is hardly noticable

Comment

valid point and thanks, my car is not showroom, wish it was, just want the overall best results...and megs seems to do a damn fine job...

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                            T.

...For people that don't want to make detailing a hobby and don't want to pay someone to maintain their car's finish, light silver metallic is the way to go...

That's unless you worry about matching paint if there is damage that needs to be repaired. Metallic silver can be a real "bear" to match.

I'm both an "obsessive compulsive detailer" and a perfectionist. I can tell you where every rock chip, paint touch up and scratch is located in my Hemi, my wife's Tacoma, my two Harleys, my boat and even my John Deere tractor. It's darn hard work being like this.

I have gotten to place where I touch up scratches as best I can (which, by the way, is very good),use clay and polish as needed and then wax with ColorX and/or NXT 2.0 and call it good enough.

Back to the thread. On my former silver vehicles as well as my black and white vehicles, I find that I have good luck finding flaws under good flourescent lighting. Being an "old guy" I wear bi-focals, but good reading glasses with your nose almost to the surface of the vehicle will pick up lots of flaws.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');