• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Couple of Questions....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of Questions....

Hi,

I should be taking delivery of a G220 tomorrow (Complete Meguiars Kit).

1. I have some Autoglym SRP so would there be any benefit in me using that then the #80 then #83 and then wax?

2. For the wax I have a tub of Victoria's Concours, whats the best way to apply this to the pad on the machine as its not in liquid form...?

I've got a small bottle of NXT wax too which I'll use once the concours has finished which is liquid I guess?

Thanks

Re: Couple of Questions....

Originally posted by c19h28o2 View Post
    Hi,

1. I have some Autoglym SRP so would there be any benefit in me using that then the #80 then #83 and then wax?
    First,

What are you working on?
    What condition is the paint? That is what are you trying to remove?

Second,

"Use the least aggressive product to get the job done"

I've never used Autoglym SRP so I don't know how aggressive or gentle it is?

M83 is more aggressive than M80 so you would normally test M80 to see if it's getting the job done, (remove the defects), and if not then trying M83 and so on and so on until you find a recipe that removes the defects and leaves a nice looking finish to move onto the next step.

Two very IMPORTANT things...

2) Always do a TEST SPOT before going over the entire car, make sure your pads, products and process are removing the defects and leaving a nice looking finish before you go over the entire car.

1) Read this and trust that this is an accurate description of most problems and the solutions.

If you're moving up to machine polishing, be sure to read the below thread before starting...
    Tips & Techniques for using the G110, G100, G220 and the PC Dual Action Polisher
    (These are all similar tools)

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Here's some more threads on doing a Test Spot

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Mike,

Thanks for the reply.

Its a 2004 Silver Golf.

The paint is in very good condition. Its been washed / polished / waxed each week since I bought the car (about 6 months) There is a scuff mark on the side the scratches aren't deep (nail test) its probably about 1 - 2 inches and there are 3 which are parallel to each other (was done trying to get it out of the pound when i had it towed!) but overall I want a better shine to my car.

Yes this will be my first machine polish and wax.

Mike correct me on this if I'm wrong with any of this.

First i'll put the product on (#80) work an area of about 12' by 12' slowly going over the spot until desired effect, then buff off by hand? Is that the normal technique?

Cheers

Michael

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
        First,

What are you working on?
        What condition is the paint? That is what are you trying to remove?

Second,

"Use the least aggressive product to get the job done"

I've never used Autoglym SRP so I don't know how aggressive or gentle it is?

M83 is more aggressive than M80 so you would normally test M80 to see if it's getting the job done, (remove the defects), and if not then trying M83 and so on and so on until you find a recipe that removes the defects and leaves a nice looking finish to move onto the next step.

Two very IMPORTANT things...

2) Always do a TEST SPOT before going over the entire car, make sure your pads, products and process are removing the defects and leaving a nice looking finish before you go over the entire car.

1) Read this and trust that this is an accurate description of most problems and the solutions.

If you're moving up to machine polishing, be sure to read the below thread before starting...
        Tips & Techniques for using the G110, G100, G220 and the PC Dual Action Polisher
        (These are all similar tools)

Comment

Originally posted by c19h28o2 View Post

Mike correct me on this if I'm wrong with any of this.

First i'll put the product on (#80) work an area of about 12' by 12' slowly going over the spot until desired effect, then buff off by hand? Is that the normal technique?
          Correct. Then after removing any M80 residue apply your favorite wax or paint sealant.

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');