• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My magnetic paint thickness gauge says....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My magnetic paint thickness gauge says....

4mm on the side panels, and, well, nothing for the hood, because it's aluminum. But the steel headlight door says 3mm, and that's probably accurate.

The hood oxidizes very easily on my car; I suspect that's because I'm close to the end on the paint, at least on the upper surfaces. It's not that big a deal to me, because the car was pretty beat when I got it, and the other choice at that time was repaint. I had to polish and buff pretty deep to get out the scratches and acid rain etching. So, repaint then, repaint now, what's the diff, y'know. I'll still wait until I see primer instead of pigment, though.

Comments?

Tom
    As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Tom,
    Your magnetic paint thickness gauge will tell you the total paint thickness. What will it tell you about the thickness of CC?
    Sugar Bear

Comment

Tom, I think you mean 3 and 4 mils, or thousandths of a inch, which would be .003" or .004". I fooled around with an eddy current tester from work, and got in that same range, almost .005 in some spots.

Comment

Re: My magnetic paint thickness gauge says....

Originally posted by Mosca
        I suspect that's because I'm close to the end on the paint,

Comments?

Tom
        Are you sure that's not because you polish it every day?

It reminds me of how I tell people the story about how the engine in my 1948 Plymouth Coupe threw a couple of rods one hot summer day...

Actually, I kind of helped it...

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

1) Yeah, mils. That's it.

2) I don't have to worry about base/clear, because it's single stage.

3) Naw Mike, When I first got the car, I wasn't much of a detail guy; clean, but not "perfect". When I saw the hood, I was sick; it looked like someone had used it as a sandbox. I had a guy with a rotary work it pretty good, twice. 6 months later, I got a PC/G100 and went at it; I've #83'd it at least half a dozen times, maybe more, not as a matter of routine but working to get out defects. Now the most aggressive I get with polishing is #9.

Tom
          As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');