• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carbon fiber Hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbon fiber Hood

Hello

i read couple of threads on this website about fade/swirls on cf but did not really understand what i have to use to fix the fading on my cf hood...

tell me if im right.......

ScratchX
    Meguiar's NXT Tech Protectant
    Meguiar's® Step 1 Deep Crystal Cleaner

im not sure which one will really work

it has fading only no swirls...got it last night....its used soo im not sure if it is clear coated or not

this is what it looks like

Re: Carbon fiber Hood

Is that cloudy white stuff a reflection? Or maybe you could take another angle a little zoommed out?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I moved this over to Detailing 101, as the FAQ is for older threads to be moved there by the moderators. Look at it as more of a reference tool.

You should get more "foot traffic" here, too.

Mark

Comment

i will more photos later on today....

thats not my hood thou....but it looks similar to this but little

Comment

thanks mark
          Last edited by thesmart1; Oct 25, 2008, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Carbon Fiber components are either

Resin Only
            Clear coated

If they are straight resin, that means only resin, no clear layer of paint then they suffer from oxidation and you can usually fix this by removing the oxidation.

If the component has an automotive clear coat finish then they suffer from swirls and clear coat failure. If it's swirls you can fix it, if it's clear coat failure then it cannot be fixed without re-sanding down to straight resin and respraying with a new clear coat finish.

The picture looks more like clear coat failure than oxidation from the whiteness and rash look it has but it could be extreme oxidation.

If it's oxidation then a quality paint cleaner or cleaner/polish can be used to do a small test spot and see if you can remove the oxidation and restore clarity to the resin.

If rubbing a paint cleaner or a cleaner/polish over an affected area has no affect then it's likely clear coated and what you're seeing is clear coat failure.

Check what your hood looks like against the photos in the link below and see if it looks like any of the pictures of clear coat failure.

The Clearcoat Failure Photo Archive

The above link can be found in Hot Topics
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

k this is my car and here are the photos of the hood

Comment

Working...
              X