• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hope this is not to stupid? (Opposite of beading)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hope this is not to stupid? (Opposite of beading)

But what is the opposite of beading? & anyone got any photos?

Re: Hope this is not to stupid?

Heh, since I think this is actually relevant, I'll move this to Detailing 101.

But I think the opposite of beading is more of "puddling," or basically the water just bunches up in nasty puddles.

Also, the main difference is if you drive the car (ie create wind) or blow on a waxed surface with beading the water will quickly and easily bunch together and run off of the paint. But with an UN-waxed surface the water tends to "stick" to the paint, and certainly isn't in a hurry to fly off the paint when it faces wind.

Comment

Re: Hope this is not to stupid? (Opposite of beading)

Originally posted by JTOWN View Post
      But what is the opposite of beading? & anyone got any photos?

The opposite of water beading is water sheeting....

When you have water beading you have a very high surface tension...The surface becomes hydrophobic. The surface fears water, it wants to push water away therefore creating water beading.

When you sheet water you have a low surface tension. It is called hydrophilic. The water wants to lay on the surface (no beading).
      Dishwashers use this technique to get a spot free rinse.

If you watch this video Ultimate Quik Detailer with Jay Leno Video you will see both in action on the hood outside. Ultimate Quik Detailer creates a hydrophobic surface, and you can clearly see where it is not applied you get a surface that sheets water.

Mike
      Mike Pennington
      Director of Global Training, Events and Consumer Relations
      Meguiar's, Inc.
      800-854-8073
      mpennington@meguiars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Pennington View Post
        The opposite of water beading is water sheeting....

When you have water beading you have a very high surface tension...The surface becomes hydrophobic. The surface fears water, it wants to push water away therefore creating water beading.

When you sheet water you have a low surface tension. It is called hydrophilic. The water wants to lay on the surface (no beading).
        Dishwashers use this technique to get a spot free rinse.

If you watch this video Ultimate Quik Detailer with Jay Leno Video you will see both in action on the hood outside. Ultimate Quik Detailer creates a hydrophobic surface, and you can clearly see where it is not applied you get a surface that sheets water.
        Mike, are there some waxes that attempt to create a surface that sheets water? If yes, how is this different from an unwaxed surface?
        Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
        --Al Kimel

Comment

When I think of the opposite of beading I think of sheeting. Here is what is in my opinion, the opposite of beading.

Here is a preview of Meguiar's new product code name "129D"

One week ago after washing my car with meguiars gold class shampoo i used meguiars ultimate quick detailer on my car.Today, after first washing my car, i fi...

Here is the amazing Tech Wax 2.0 having an amazing beading result on a 1995 Mercedes Benz S600!Learn more with our mobile app at: http://itunes.apple.com/hk/...

And this Aussie Meguiar's commercial, LOL.
          www.meguiars.com.auFor an intense, deep, wet look shine and relentless water beading use Tech Wax 2.0 and Ultimate Quick Detailer featuring Hydrophobic Polym...
          Jim
          My Gallery

Comment

When I think of sheeting I think of cars that have been sitting around neglected with no wax.

You can also have sheeting on waxed paint but thats a little different.
            Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
            Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');