• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The proof is under the Grit Guard!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The proof is under the Grit Guard!

Simple as that just for fun I wanted to post this - from my recent detail: Infiniti G35x Detail - NXT 2.0, and More I emptied the wash bucket out slowly and ended up finding this under the Grit Guard.

Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Re: The proof is under the Grit Guard!

I showed my step son the same thing and after we polish out his truck to the best of my ability, he has seen what is at the bottom of the rinse bucket, he was shocked. I told him if all that dirt stayed in his wash mitt, he would definately swirl his truck up and I have been making him do 1/2 the work or more
    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

That is pretty cool. Thanks for the picture!!
      Joel
      Firefighter/EMT-B
      Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
      "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
      '99 F-150

Comment

Wow nice. You can really see it in that shot. Since I wash everything once a week it's not so obvious but if I look closely, I see how the grit guard helps me. Especially in the rinse bucket.
        -HealthyCivic
        Check out the glossary

Comment

The old saying "A picture is worth a thousand words". There you go. That should prove to any doubters the value of the grit guard.
          quality creates its own demand

Comment

Not to argue the value of a grit guard, but I do have a few questions.
            When you rinse your wash mitt, it is rinsed in the upper part of the water in the bucket, right? So any dirt that is rinsed off would settle to the bottom of the bucket whether you had a grit guard or not, wouldn't it?
            Also, does most of the dirt actually settle or is a lot of it still suspended in the water?
            I always felt that most of the dirt that settled was heavier stuff like sand and while it's great to get that type of dirt out of the wash mitt, I think a lot of stuff just gets mixed into the water in the rinse bucket. You get lots of the dirt out of the mitt and it keeps it out of the soap bucket, but the mitt is still submerged in it.
            Do you grit guard users actually rub/scrub the mitt against the guard when you dip your mitt in the bucket? Wouldn't that agitation tend to stir up the dirt that had fallen to the bottom of the bucket?
            I seem to have dirt settled in the bottom of my bucket without a grit guard that appears to be much like what is shown in your picture.
            Charles
            The Rainmaker

Comment

Dirt will alway settle to the bottom because it is heavier than water. The Grit Guard is designed to keep the dirt from swirling back up the water by the bottom cross blades and upper grid. The dirt is blocked from swirling and rising.

Mike
              Last edited by Mikejl; Oct 31, 2008, 07:13 PM.
              Why do we drive on a Parkway, and park on a Driveway

George Carlin

Comment

The idea of the grit guard is to keep your mitt off the bottom of the bucket when you toss it in and let it sit while doing other things during a wash it will also trap the grit below the guard where your mitt can not reach it.

That said; there are 'baffles' under the grit guard that are intended to reduce the movement of water and particles below the grit guard. Sure some grit is suspended in the water but every time you dip your mitt in the bucket you are stirring the water, with the guard in place the motion of the water is suppose to be minimized by the baffles causing the grit to stay below the guard and continuing to collect there during a wash; where without the guard with every dip of the mitt you are constantly suspending grit including the grit at the bottom of the bucket.

As for rubbing the mitt on the bottom, I hold the mitt vertically and rub the mitt with my fingers the directions say rub on the guard but I have a different method to my madness.
                Brandon

Comment

Originally posted by gb387 View Post
                  The idea of the grit guard is to keep your mitt off the bottom of the bucket when you toss it in and let it sit while doing other things during a wash it will also trap the grit below the guard where your mitt can not reach it.
                  That scenario never crossed my mind since I don't toss my mitt in either the wash or the rinse bucket. It stays on my hand from start to final rinse. The exception being when I am doing wheels and wheel wells, but that's a different wash bucket and wash media.

Originally posted by gb387
                  That said; there are 'baffles' under the grit guard that are intended to reduce the movement of water and particles below the grit guard. Sure some grit is suspended in the water but every time you dip your mitt in the bucket you are stirring the water, with the guard in place the motion of the water is suppose to be minimized by the baffles causing the grit to stay below the guard and continuing to collect there during a wash; where without the guard with every dip of the mitt you are constantly suspending grit including the grit at the bottom of the bucket.
                  Having never seen a grit guard, I wasn't aware of the baffles.

Originally posted by gb387
                  As for rubbing the mitt on the bottom, I hold the mitt vertically and rub the mitt with my fingers the directions say rub on the guard but I have a different method to my madness.
                  The rubbing of the mitt on the GG was strictly a guess on my part, but it did seem like it could be a logical thing to do.

Interesting information.
                  Thank you.
                  Charles
                  The Rainmaker

Comment

Originally posted by CharlesW View Post
                    That scenario never crossed my mind since I don't toss my mitt in either the wash or the rinse bucket. It stays on my hand from start to final rinse. The exception being when I am doing wheels and wheel wells, but that's a different wash bucket and wash media.

Having never seen a grit guard, I wasn't aware of the baffles.

The rubbing of the mitt on the GG was strictly a guess on my part, but it did seem like it could be a logical thing to do.

Interesting information.
                    Thank you.
                    A Grit Guard may not be a perfect solution but IMO its about the only thing out there at a reasonable price to aid in preventing scratches. Some use it some don't, I like it and it seem to work for me.

I tend to toss my mitt in either the rinse or wash bucket all the time, for wheels, using an extendable mop for my roof and so on... now I try to only toss it in the soap bucket as it seems the better option but sometimes I forget and it goes in the rinse bucket.

The directions do recommend you rub the mitt on the guard to dislodge the grit and drop it under the guard.
                    Brandon

Comment

I still have to get some of these
                      2004 Mustang GT - Sonic Blue

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');