• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pressure washers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure washers

Are pressure washer's good on a car's paint.

Is this instead of a hose and nozzle?

I find that a heavy flow of water sheets off the car taking the car wash soap with it. A high pressure just foams up the suds and causes the water bead up more and roll off the car making it more difficult to rinse and dry.

I have the Ultimate Nozzle and love it for my black Pilot. It has several adjustments including a wide flow of water for rinsing.

As far as safe? It depends on your paint, if it is an older rig with chips I would hesitate to use anything with much pressure. I personally would not use it, even on a newer car. Just seems a bit harsh. Just my opinion...

I think the best way is the old fashioned bucket or buckets, car wash and a nice fuzzy wash mitt. I also like to add a little newer technology with the Grit Guard in the bottom of the bucket to keep the dirt out of my mitt.

Lynn
    Lynn Matthews

Comment

I only use my pressure washer on my tires and wheel wells. I don't use it on the paint. Color me cautious.
      Jim
      My Gallery

Comment

What I have found with the power washer is there is no way to be sure the water is containment free, By heating the water through a coil of stainless steel, (some are brass) the water impurities will have the tendency to build up on the inside of the coil and release when the coil expands and contracts through the heating process.(if you are using a heated unit) I sure wouldn't want a heated piece of calcium hitting my finish at 1,500-2,000 psi.

I have done my previously owned truck with a power washer and the finish show it. Even though I spent less time cleaning down the paint the washer never removed all of the road film, I would still need to hand wash the truck to get it thoroughly clean. (squeaky clean).

For cleaning down the under carriage, Wheel wells, Floors and sidewalks it would be just fine,,But that's just about it

I have a unit in the shop that's at least 20yrs old and I might use it twice a year on the under carriage.
        Rich
        If you don't have Meguiar's in your hand
        DON'T TOUCH MY TRUCK

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');