• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the most expensive wax you've used?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the most expensive wax you've used?

While looking at some of the detailing supply sites I noticed some waxes/sealants that were really, really expensive.

$175

$199

$647

$1358

$8416

$45,000

Probably none of us on here have had or will ever have the chance to try out these last few glazes or waxes. But other than those, has anyone tried some that are a $175 or more? How did they do, were they worth the enormous cost?

Re: What's the most expensive wax you've used?

There is one wax that is really expensive, but it comes with a "lifetime supply" of wax. Oddly enough, professional detailers are not eligible for the free refills. I think it was a Zymol product, but don't quote me on that.

I'll stick with some NXT and Mirror Glaze products.
    NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

The most expensive wax I've used was Pinnacle Souveran paste wax. It's very nice, but pricey ($80 currently, I think).

Comment

I have Supernatural and Fuzion.
        Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

How does the Fuzion work?

Comment

Originally posted by sudsbyhubbs View Post
            How does the Fuzion work?
            I thought the SN looked better when I did some test panels, but I haven't really used it much yet. I bought it when it was on sale for $99.
            Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

All of those waxes are out of my league. I will stick to Meguiars. Wow some of that stuff is pricey.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

These are probably Jay Lenos brand of wax'es

Comment

I've used Zymol Concours and Destiny. They look pretty good, not amazing but they are a PITA to use and don't last very long at all in the heat. A few rain showers and there is nothing left.

Comment

Has anyone found any of these boutique products to give enough extra value for their cost as compared to any of the below products that are all under $20.00 and are easily found in just about any city or town across the U.S.A. and often times in towns in other countries also...

M26 Hi Tech Yellow - $12.50

M21 Synthetic Sealant - $19.58

Gold Class Wax - $12.99

NXT Tech Wax 2.0 - $17.99

Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax - $7.18

A quality wax or paint sealant should do a good job of sealing the surface with some type of protection ingredient(s) and also make the paint look clear and glossy.

As all online enthusiasts already know, your end-results are determined by what kind of surface you have to start with. A brand new car or a brand new paint job shouldn't realistically need any correction work but even a casual reading of this forum or any other forum will show this isn't the case as there are many people posting Horror Stories which are about the swirled out paint by the dealership where they purchased their new car, or swirled out paint after someone at a bodyshop buffs the new paint job in a caveman manner.

It's expected that older cars and daily driver that are not maintained in show room condition will of course need to have correction work done before applying a finishing wax.

So with all things being equal, that is no matter what type of car you're working on, if the paint is correctly prepared to accept the wax, has anyone ever found any boutique product to really offer better results in any category than any of the above Meguiar's products?

It's okay to post that you have found better products because beauty is in the eye of the beholder and when it comes to choosing and using the best wax for you and your cars, it tends to be a fairly personal decision and never anything worth fighting over on a discussion forum. We're certainly not going question your results as we encourage people to try other products and make up their own mind.

Besides all that, it's fun to test different waxes and there's even a little bit of fun just involved in the experience of purchasing a boutique product and then waiting for it to be delivered to your doorsteps... at the end of the day, all that really matters is either your happy or your customers are happy and that's what it's all about...

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                      Has anyone found any of these boutique products to give enough extra value for their cost as compared to any of the below products that are all under $20.00 and are easily found in just about any city or town across the U.S.A. and often times in towns in other countries also...

Side by side with Supernatural and M26....I saw no difference on both a black and red panel.
                      Last edited by RaskyR1; Nov 13, 2008, 01:45 PM.
                      Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Wow those are really expensive waxes. I am going to stick with Meguiars.
                        Alex
                        1972 Dodge Dart Swinger360
                        1998 SVT Cobra 1 of 551
                        1969 Ford Mustang Fastback

Comment

If you want an expensive wax...

AeroCleanse, LLC
                          Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
                          www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

I'll sell you some #26 for $300!

Most expensive would be my #16 or maybe #21.
                            Scott

Comment

I find the psychology of boutique waxes fascinating. All expert detailers agree that the preparation of the paint surface contributes to 90% if not more to the appearance of a waxed car. So when Mike and others say that M26 or NXT creates an appearance that is as good as the appearance created by the expensive waxes, I absolutely believe them. Can a tub of car wax really be worth $5,000, $1,000, $500, $200? Surely there must be a real difference in quality, a difference manifest to the beholder, between a wax that costs $7 and a wax that costs $50 or $200, but how do we identify that point? What is that point? Or to put it another way, at what point are we being played as fools?

Last summer Dave KG executed a blind wax test between six different waxes, ranging in price from $2.50 per ounce (Collinite 915) to $170 per ounce (Zymol Royale). The final results indicate that the participants had a difficult time distinguishing between the waxes. The results also strongly dispute the correlation between beauty and price. Swissvax's "Best of Show" (the second most expensive tested wax at $35 per ounce) came in first place, closely followed by Collinite, the least expensive of the tested waxes! Dave offers his own personal assessment of the test:

"You simply cannot tell which wax is which on looks alone, on a well prepped car. Money will categorically not buy you a better finish IMHO and it is my feeling that the test results prove this conclusively. This was obvious to me when prepping the cars in the garage - the efforts going into the machine finish transformed the look of the cars, but adding the wax delivered nothing tenable extra to the looks - regardless of whether it was Collinite or Royale!"

It's a shame that M26 was not included in Dave's test.

But ... having noted all of this ... I confess that I remain curious how one or two of the boutique waxes would look on my black S2000. It's all psychology. It's all vanity. It's all hype. I know that. But I still want to see with my own eyes. It's my car, my Luthien, after all. I am hoping that a special Christmas gift will allow me to indulge my vanity and whim. I have already submitted my request to Santa.

Cheers,
                              Al
                              Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                              --Al Kimel

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');