• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will NXT All Metal Polish Work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will NXT All Metal Polish Work?

Looking for some help with the wheels, or more appropriately, the hub caps on my '66 Mustang.

I do not know the nature of the metal type, but can describe it as thin and tin-like sounding.

My goal is to restore the metal to like-new condition and remove the streaking effect that is on them (see photo #2 for close-up).

Question #1
    Will the NXT All Metal Polish do any good on these caps? What about the various surfaces of the caps (see a, b, c, d of photo #1)?

Question #2
    Will any of the other Meguiar's metal products do any better or worse of a job? (Gold Class All Metal Restorer, Mirror Glaze All Metal Polish)

Question #3
    Semi-unrelated. The inner part of the center spinners are encased in plastic. One has turned yellow. I've taken all the spinners apart (previous owner added) and cleaned with the Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic collection. It did not help the yellowing. My guess is that too much UV damage has been done, and is unreversable.

Photo #1 (overall cap)

Photo #2 (close up)

Re: Will NXT All Metal Polish Work?

Originally posted by magnus
    Looking for some help with the wheels, or more appropriately, the hub caps on my '66 Mustang.

I do not know the nature of the metal type, but can describe it as thin and tin-like sounding.

My goal is to restore the metal to like-new condition and remove the streaking effect that is on them (see photo #2 for close-up).

Question #1
    Will the NXT All Metal Polish do any good on these caps? What about the various surfaces of the caps (see a, b, c, d of photo #1)?
    Hi magnus,

I would say that if any product will work at all to restore the finish of these wheel caps, then NXT Metal Polysh will work. If NXT Metal Polysh doesn't work, then chances are good no metal polish is going to work. Some metal finishes can only be restored by a machine applied product also, so that might be something you can look into. I would think that a couple of google searches on hubcaps would find someone who specializes in collectible car hubcaps and they may offer some restoration services or suggestions. For the money, I think NXT Metal Polysh would be worth a try. Apply aggressively with piece of terry cloth towel.

Question #2
    Will any of the other Meguiar's metal products do any better or worse of a job? (Gold Class All Metal Restorer, Mirror Glaze All Metal Polish)
    The new NXT Metal Polysh is better at restoring metal surfaces than the Gold Class All Metal Restorer, and probably about equal to the All Metal Polish in the Professional Line. The NXT Metal Polysh offers the benefit of an anti-corrosion agent that the other two do not offer.

Question #3
    Semi-unrelated. The inner part of the center spinners are encased in plastic. One has turned yellow. I've taken all the spinners apart (previous owner added) and cleaned with the Mirror Glaze Clear Plastic collection. It did not help the yellowing. My guess is that too much UV damage has been done, and is irreversible.
    I don't believe the PlastX product is included in the Plastic Collection?

http://www.meguiars.com/collections/index.cfm?CID=285

The PlastX contains a microscopic diminishing abrasive that gives it some extra cleaning power the other products don't offer. You could give this product a try. If the yellowing is on the surface it will probably work, if the yellowing is throughout the plastic, then probably nothing will work.

Hope this helps...

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');