• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IPA Wipedown - Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPA Wipedown - Why?

Forgive the noob question, but I've read several threads where someone refers to an IPA wipedown after polishing, but before the LSP. Why would you do this? Wouldn't the IPA remove the polishing oils?
    2013 Highlander - black
    2010 TL - black

Re: IPA Wipedown - Why?

A IPA wipe down allows you to make sure that all the compound/paint cleaner isn't filling the defects or masking them. Some products just mask the defects and a IPA wipe down will remove that product to reveal the true finish. Sometimes though a product might not be completely removed with a microfiber so some people do a IPA wipe down to make the wax bond better.

Ryan
    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

On page 2 of the below thread Bill D asked a question about doing a IPA wipe down and I posted my personal thoughts on the subject.

1960 Corvette - How To Restore Single Stage Acrylic Lacquer Paint

Detailers can do as they wish, wipe or no wipe, wash with Dawn, don't wash with Dawn, if you do a successful Test Spot and check your work at that point and you're satisfied with the results, then theoretically you can duplicate that over the entire car and get the same results thus no reason to do any stripping and dulling of the surface by wiping with some kind of solvent or washing with a detergent soap.

You'll see a lot of emphasis on this practice by people on other forums, could just be something people new to detailing do until they increase their skill, knowledge and experience.

I don't do it personally unless it's during the test spot, don't feel the need, especially on antique/original single stage paints but also on clear coat paints.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I think a lot of people worry too much about what is in a polish.
        When you use a polish and it looks good does it matter how it works????

If it has a filler as long as it looks good to you then seal it with something like NXT and don't worry about how you got their.

I have never used a Alcohol wipe after polishing.
        If it looks good then it don't matter how it works.

Spend more time learning proper technique and leave the chemistry to Meguiars that is their job.

One of my favorite polishes is #80 and it has a lot of oils in it but I only care about the results.
        When used properly 80 looks awesome and is very versatile it works great on single stage paint and clear coat both.
        If it has something that fills as long as it looks as good as any other product it don't matter to me how it accomplishes this.
        Black Bart

Comment

Originally posted by Black Bart View Post
          I think a lot of people worry too much about what is in a polish.
          This is just an observation, I could be wrong, but I think that most of the filler concerns and issues in polish and the subsequent fad to wipe or strip paint bare after working on it comes from Zaino users, not Sal specifically.

Not casting judgment, to each their own... (see my signature line). Zaino appeared on the market in I think 1998 or there abouts, I started posting to the Usenet Newsgroups in 1994, this was before discussion forum software like vBulletin was invented, so I've seen a few trends come and go over time...

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Ryan, Mike, Black Bart - thanks much for the responses!

I use IPA, but only to prep a stone chip area that I am about to touch-up and, occasionally, on my test area (because being a noob sometimes I just like to see if my technique is really working).

I'll be the first to admit I can be a bit AR about detailing cars, but it just doesn't seem to make any sense to put all that work into applying a good cleaner/polish over the entire car then wiping it all off with IPA.

I'll stick with the tried and true test spot method to make sure I'm getting the results that I want and then repeat same over the entire car. I'll gladly trade the 20-30 minutes it would take to do an IPA wipe down for time to stand back and admire my work when I'm finished with the LSP...
            Last edited by gjohn28; Dec 2, 2008, 05:55 PM.
            2013 Highlander - black
            2010 TL - black

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');