• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

winter care

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winter care

hi guys well up here in minnesota we are getting are snow!
    i just wanted to know what you recommend for winter care.
    i cant wash in the driveway and i dont like washin at carwash cause my locks like to freeze. in my county they stopped using salt so rust is not a huge problem they only use sand on the roads. but i hate how dirty my car gets in the winter its my only car so i have to drive it. but is there anyway i can fight this i know i wont be able to keep it summer time clean but there has got to be someway.

Re: winter care

Welcome to MOL bluecadillac,

Just an FYI the "FAQ" section is not open to new posts, but is an area where moderators move topics at the appropriate time.

When in doubt, just post your questions here in Detailing 101.

Thanks!

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by bluecadillac View Post
      hi guys well up here in minnesota we are getting are snow!
      i just wanted to know what you recommend for winter care.
      i cant wash in the driveway and i dont like washin at carwash cause my locks like to freeze. in my county they stopped using salt so rust is not a huge problem they only use sand on the roads. but i hate how dirty my car gets in the winter its my only car so i have to drive it. but is there anyway i can fight this i know i wont be able to keep it summer time clean but there has got to be someway.
      It is a pain isn't it. Well you can go to a automated touchless car wash, or one of those coin operated pressure washes. You can buy the antifreeze stuff for the locks. I imagine Wd-40 might work as well. Or you can do what I do...don't wash it all until spring. A friend of mine who lived in Canada told me washing a car in the winter is the worst thing one can do. He worked for GM at the time. Maybe he was right or maybe he just wanted to sell more car. Who knows. PS some of us are not guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline View Post
        It is a pain isn't it. Well you can go to a automated touchless car wash, or one of those coin operated pressure washes. You can buy the antifreeze stuff for the locks. I imagine Wd-40 might work as well. Or you can do what I do...don't wash it all until spring. A friend of mine who lived in Canada told me washing a car in the winter is the worst thing one can do. He worked for GM at the time. Maybe he was right or maybe he just wanted to sell more car. Who knows. PS some of us are not guys.
        I'm going to chime in because Canada and cold was mentioned.... brrr. We now close our hand carwash when temp dives to -15c, too much ice builds up in the door jams and even on the outsides of the cars so it really slows us down too much. And then there is the issue of frozen locks and doors... bah just too much hassle.

As for the winter washing in general, up here salt is BAD so it's a good idea to not leave it on the car longer than need be. I'm sure people could debate this but even in winter cars get wet and slushy so salt n water can't be good.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');