• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oxodized paint - what to do guys? pics inside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxodized paint - what to do guys? pics inside

I couldn't resist.. it was about to be junked so I figured I'd make a project out of it and save it's life while giving myself something to do.

Heres the deal, I have seen some of you guys remove heavy oxidation from paint like this before and I'd like some advice please on how I can go about this job. (I plan to paint it myself in the spring, I just want to make the existing paint look as good as it can to practice since you guys always suggest a practice panel or vehicle.. well I got one!)

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. (I was actually able to use my elbow grease and turn a spot into a sniny bit of paint so there is hope.)

Re: Oxodized paint - what to do guys? pics inside

Anything other than Re-paint would just be good pratice of your buffing skills a very good piece to pratice on but sorry to say but it's time for paint.

Comment

What tools do you have to work with?
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Makita 9227 and I need to buy what ever liquids / pads you guys recommend

Comment

Originally posted by 97 Supra View Post
          Makita 9227 and I need to buy what ever liquids / pads you guys recommend
          I would:

Get some of the SOLO wool (Try maroon) and some M105.

Also get some SOLO yellow foam. Use that with M105 after the wool and M105 if need be.

Then M205 via finishing black SOLO foam.

I would do some #7 after the M205, and then wax her with the wax of your choice ( M21 2.0, Nxt 2.0, Gold Class, M20, etc)

Comment

And then post pics of the transformation!!

Comment

It's supposed to snow a lot in NJ starting tonight and through out the weekend, so I won't be able to get any results for a while but once I do which ever method I chose I will be sure to post back with the before and after shots.

Comment

Rotary, 8 series pad and good ol' 80 with their wonderful oils in it....
                Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Are you positive that's a single stage paint and not a basecoat/clearcoat finish?

Hard to tell from the picture?

Does the paint look like any of the paint on the cars in this thread?

The Clearcoat Failure Photo Archive

If you're not sure, do a little test with a white cloth and any kind of white or whitish cleaning polish

How To Test for a Clearcoat or Single Stage Paint Finish

Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Mike I believe it is actually a base / clear situation. The passenger front fender not pictured has turned white not just hazy red, but white.

Comment

I saw Nick do a base/clear redo and it turned out great, alas it won't last long as he said but it sure looked good!

This is the Thread

Maroon Lexus - By Nick Chapman
                      Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Originally posted by 97 Supra View Post
                        Mike I believe it is actually a base / clear situation. The passenger front fender not pictured has turned white not just hazy red, but white.
                        It's hard to tell from this picture but from what I can see it actually looks like a clearcoat failure...

If the test for clearcoat paint proves this then you can still practice on the paint but even if you can improve the appearance the results won't last...

Please do update this thread with what you find out and your results if you do try buffing it out.

Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nappers View Post
                          I saw Nick do a base/clear redo and it turned out great, alas it won't last long as he said but it sure looked good!

This is the Thread

Maroon Lexus - By Nick Chapman
                          That was the exception, not the rule. It will be interesting to see if the results hold up over time...

Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Must be clearcoat failure.. the whole car turned white! just kidding, work has been delayed unfortunately due to the inclement weather.

As far as lasting results, I just wanna get in some practice, I'm going to paint the car either a jewel green, or a nice regular black in the spring so right now I'm just toying around while I work on the transmission.

I will post back once I give a few things a try with before and afters - thanks for the advice gang!

- Brett

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                              That was the exception, not the rule. It will be interesting to see if the results hold up over time...

I brought this one back and it lasted until it got wet ,about 1 day

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');