• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M86 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M86 Question

I know M86 is a compound/polish, but how exactly is it intended to be used? Something a little more aggressive than 83 or 205?

Thanks.
    2013 Highlander - black
    2010 TL - black

Re: M86 Question

I have never used M86 as well, and have always wondered how well it performs. Hopefully some of the ones who have used it will chime it.
    '05 Arctic Blue Pearl Acura TSX
    '03 Silver Lexus RX 300

Comment

M86 is from the SOLO line. It's a one liquid solution for body shops. I have used it but not enough to really comment. I bought it thinking I would use it when 105 wasn't needed. But 105 finishes out so nice that I just never used the M86 as much as I thought I would.
      Jason

Comment

M86 So1o is a very fine product to use in the bodyshop, but most of the time is works also well on fabric paint , the fun is you just need 1 bottle and 2 pads to switch to get a brilliant effect!

Gjohn28 , solo is a unique product and with a wool pad ( wwhc 7 red) almost the same than M85, but using a different kind of abrasive, but with a special designed foam pad (wdfp 7 yellow) it finishes similarly to M80 and from that moment the product as less cutting power and becomes more of a polish ( like i said its unique) , so difficult to say how agressive M86 is there the pads determine the level of aggressiveness !
        Shining regards
        Sven
        Meguiar's Exclusive importer for Belgium
        http://www.meguiars.be

Comment

I use M86 a fair amount, actually, and really like it. It uses the same type of technology *super micro abrasives) as M105 so it leaves a great finish. It isn't as aggressive as M105, but it still hair a good medium cut.

It works fantastically well on single stage paints in my experience.

Comment

I have used M86 fairly regularly and Mark's (above) analysis is pretty much what I have observed. It is an excellent product. I believe it is intended for new paint (like fresh out of the body shop), but it also works on older paints quite well. Combined with the SOLO pads and you have a great set of tools.
            -Bob
            NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

Actually, M105 and M86 are similar in that they both tout non-diminishing abrasives.

M86 lists its technology as Unigritâ„¢ Technology.
              M105 lists its technology as Super Micro Abrasive Technology.

M86 is wonderful. It is a world class liquid, and it can remove heavy defects with a wool pad.
              A snap of the wrist removes the wool pad and installs a foam polishing or finishing pad. Once you make the switch, you're on the way to creating a near perfect paint finish.

M86 is very a very capable and diverse liquid. If you had to choose one liquid to duke it out in a buffing contest, you'd probably have the upper hand using M86.
              Unless your competitor showed up with the new M105 (then you might have some trouble).

Then again, maybe not. They are both that good. Skill level, paint type, environmental conditions (and several other factors) can influence a liquid's performance. Therefore, it is prudent to have on hand various pads at the start of your polishing session. Meguiar's has made it easy for you by developing the So1o One Liquid System. Use it to guarantee satisfactory results every time you polish that paint!
              Kevin Brown
              NXTti Instructor, Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team, Meguiar's Distributor/Retailer

Comment

Thanks, everyone for the responses.

Do the Solo pads make a significant difference with M86 or can you achieve similar results with the Soft Buffs?
                2013 Highlander - black
                2010 TL - black

Comment

The solo pads are designed to work with the solo backing plate for the rotary buffer. So you have all 3 parts designed to work together. That combination is supposed to reduce the probability of inducing swills/halograms in the polishing process.

I have used M86 with a foam polishing pad to reduce micro maring on my vette. With M80 I was getting micro maring, but using M86 with a foam pad on the DA at speed 3 got a much better finish. As Kevin stated above, there are many variables given the many types of paint that are on cars today. Have M86 as another tool in your tool kit. Sometimes you just need to experiment....which is one thing I have definetly learned from Kevin...don't be afraid to experiment....just try the experiment in a small area before you do the entire car.
                  -Bob
                  NXTti graduate, Meguiars Ford/SEMA Team

"All Corvette's are red, the rest are mistakes" - John Heinricy (Corvette Engineer)

Comment

Kevin (and others), can #86 work well on cured paints?

This is the only thing that has kept me from ordering some.
                    www.clean4udetailing.com

Comment

Can you use 86 with a DA?
                      2013 Highlander - black
                      2010 TL - black

Comment

Originally posted by justin30513 View Post

This is the only thing that has kept me from ordering some.
                        I use it on most of my details, no problems with cured paints. I love the Light Wool and M86 combi, minimal swirls and hologramming.

I've tested the M86 and the M84 on the same W4000 (cleaned with padwasher offcourse and I know, the W4000 is not designed for the M86 but I did so I could compare them.

With the M84 I had swirls and hologramming all over the area I polished and with the M86 and W4000 I had minimal swirls and hologramming.
                        For me the M86 is an incredible pordukt to work with!

Even on very soft paint the polishing pad and M86 was a winning combination, I had to finish with DA though. On soft paint you get hologramming with a rotary no matter what you use.

Comment

Originally posted by justin30513 View Post
                          Meguiar's does not recommend M86 for fresh paint or DA application. *****(SHOULD have read: M86 is recommended for use on fresh paint only, and not recommended for use with a DA. -Kevin Brown)
                          I have used M86 extensively on all types of paints, but I am fairly proficient with rotary and DA machines.
                          So, if I create undesirable results, I understand that I am responsible for the damage and consequent repairs.
                          That being stated, I have had no major issues to deal with.

Originally posted by RDVT4ME View Post
                          ...I believe it is intended for new paint (like fresh out of the body shop), but it also works on older paints quite well...
                          Originally posted by RDVT4ME View Post
                          I have used M86 with a foam polishing pad to reduce micro maring on my vette. With M80 I was getting micro maring, but using M86 with a foam pad on the DA at speed 3 got a much better finish...Sometimes you just need to experiment, which is one thing I have definetly learned from Kevin. Don't be afraid to experiment. Just try the experiment in a small area before you do the entire car.
                          Bob aka RDVT4ME has used M86 quite a bit.
                          He has has become somewhat of an expert with its capabilities.
                          As a matter of fact, we used M86 throughout this polish session:

We encourage MOL members to show off their latest before & after results. We also welcome "Work in Progress" Threads. For Enthusiasts or Professional Detailers

Kevin Brown

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Brown View Post
                            Meguiar's does not recommend M86 for fresh paint or DA application.
                            WHOOPS! WHOA! HOLD ON!

That should have said:
                            M86 is recommended for use on fresh paint only, and not recommended for use with a DA.

Thank you Mark for pointing that out.
                            Kevin Brown

Comment

No problem Kevin, we all make mistakes...you just don't do it as often

As for M86 on a DA- I can honestly say I have never tried that myself...it seems like it needs a rotary to me, which makes sense considering that is what Meg's said!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');