• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polish: Before or after ColorX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polish: Before or after ColorX?

Man, i'm so glad i signed up on this board! As a first time "weekend detailer", I was getting a little lost at Autopia (Good info there though) and since i like Meguiars products, this board seems to be a more natural fit...

Anyways,
    After seeing how well ColorX worked for Mike Phillips (great job on that bronco!), I have decided to try it this weekend. My only question is:

Do I apply #7 Show Car Glaze BEFORE or AFTER the ColorX? Or do I need it at all?

I have a PC, but no pads/backing plate yet, so this first detail will be done by hand. Any advice/tips/suggestions?

Thanks,

Craig
    Trust me...Your patience will be rewarded...

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Well, from my understanding, ColorX is mainly a cleaner product but it also has some polishing oils in it and a little bit of wax so it's an all-in-one type of product. But if you would like to put on polish, then I would suggest applying the #7 after you've applied ColorX.

Hope that helps.
    2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

Hey,

Meguiar's #7 Show Car Glaze is a pure polish (i.e. without any cleaners). However, ColorX is a fairly strong cleaner/polish/protectant. Hence, use the ColorX first and follow with the #7 and then top with either NXT Tech Wax or #20 Polymer Sealant.

Tim
      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Re: Polish: Before or after ColorX?

Originally posted by RCBuddha
        Do I apply #7 Show Car Glaze BEFORE or AFTER the ColorX? Or do I need it at all?

I have a PC, but no pads/backing plate yet, so this first detail will be done by hand. Any advice/tips/suggestions?

Thanks,

Craig
        Hi Craig,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Bri and 2hotford pretty much answered your question about order and whether or not you need to use #7 Show Car Glaze at all.

Quick question? What kind of paint are you working on? Single-stage or basecoat/clearcoat?

That might influence me as to whether or not I would use the pure polish after ColorX. Also, what color is the paint? A darker color is going to show more results than a lighter color.

If you're working on a dark, neglected single-stage finish, then after the ColorX, it would be a good idea to apply and work in an application of a rich polish like the #7 Show Car Glaze, afterwards, it would also be a good idea to re-wax to lock these oils into the finish.

If it is a single-stage finish and it is neglected, then I would recommend a piece of terry cloth for a little extra bite on the cleaning side, (This is what I used on the Bronco)

1986 Ford Bronco II - Extreme Makeover

ColorX does a great job by itself, but for an older, neglected single-stage finish, after cleaning the paint, usually a well-worked in application of a pure polish will really bring out the richness of color.

Hope this helps...

Mike
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Can you apply color X with a da? If so would you do it with a yellow pad?

Comment

Originally posted by Lt1Corvette
            Can you apply color X with a da? If so would you do it with a yellow pad?
            I think that you can apply Color-X with the DA since I think that the only product you can't apply with the DA is Scratch-X. I think it would also be a great idea to use a W-8006.
            2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

Re: Re: Polish: Before or after ColorX?

Hi Mike,

I have a '99 4Runner Dark Green that has been waxed at least twice a year (with either cleaner-wax or Gold Class) since I got it in '99. I think its a single-stage with a clearcoat, but alas, i'm unsure.

Paint Condition:

I can definitely see cobwebs in the paint, and it needs a good claybar session. Some minor dents here and there, but overall, the paint seems to have held up pretty well.

I think i'll try just ColorX and NXT for this weekend, and when i get my PC up and running, i'll try it with the #7. BTW, does anyone have the link to the PC pads w/ backing plate?

I'll post some before and after pics on saturday...

Thanks for all the reponses!

Craig
              Last edited by RCBuddha; Sep 23, 2004, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Hey,

Yes you can apply the ColorX with the DA. In fact, it does an excellent job with it. I would suggest the W-8006 Polishing Pad with the PC set to 4-5 for speed. Really work the product in. I will do a couple of panels that way and then come back and remove the residue with a MF towel.

Tim
                Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

ColorX and NXT applied!

Applied the ColorX and NXT by hand today, started with a good rinse, regular wash w/Claybar, ColorX and then NXT.

Here are some results:

Overall, I'm only mildly "satisfied" with the results. Its seems that the cobwebbing is less apparent, but its still noticeable when the sun hits the paint. But hey, for a first "attempt" at doing a better detail, it ain't too bad.

I wonder how much of a difference my PC will make. I'll try it next time around and let everyone know the results...

Craig

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');