• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polishing over a small dent (paint chip)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing over a small dent (paint chip)

I have a small isolated area on my side panel where the paint has been chipped off due to a dent. The amount of paint that's chipped off is isolated to 3 circles that are a 3-7 millimeters in a diameter.

I'm planning on going through a complete polishing session (wash, clay, polish, wax) and was curious of any precautions I should take?

I will be using the m205, tech wax 2.0 and g110.

Perhaps I should just tape off this area to prevent chipping of paint?

The car is 2008 infiniti m35.
    2008 Infiniti M35 Worklog

Re: Polishing over a small dent (paint chip)

Originally posted by humblepie View Post
    I have a small isolated area on my side panel where the paint has been chipped off due to a dent. The amount of paint that's chipped off is isolated to 3 circles that are a 3-7 millimeters in a diameter.

I'm planning on going through a complete polishing session (wash, clay, polish, wax) and was curious of any precautions I should take?

I will be using the m205, tech wax 2.0 and g110.

Perhaps I should just tape off this area to prevent chipping of paint?

The car is 2008 infiniti m35.
    Bingo, that is what I would do if I wasn't going to try and fill it in and wet sand it.

Comment

Why not touch up the chips first?

Tom

Comment

You wont want wax in the chips if you touch them up, and you will want to avoid them for a while if you do touch them up.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

By feeling the dent, it feels like the deepness of the dent is below or pretty near the end of the clear coat layer. I'm not sure what I can do for a dent/scratch that deep.

Comment

OK -- I suggest taking your car to shop that does paintless dent repair . Have the dent removed , make any touch ups that need to be made and then polish and wax the area.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tguil View Post
              OK -- I suggest taking your car to shop that does paintless dent repair . Have the dent removed , make any touch ups that need to be made and then polish and wax the area.

Tom
              I wonder how much that would cost. After being enlightened w/ the info from MOL, I grow weary of putting this car under any more abuse from hands other than my own. It has come across as a thought though... I'll first finish my initial pass of my car (which is all documented in my worklog), then perhaps worrying about fixing the minor dent. It's something I can live with at the moment.

Comment

Paintless Dent Repair is very inexpensive. Based on your description of the dents, I's say about $50-$80. Some shops that do Paintless Dent Repair are darn good at minor touch ups too.

Paintless Dent Repair is darn near "magic".

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tguil View Post
                  Paintless Dent Repair is very inexpensive. Based on your description of the dents, I's say about $50-$80. Some shops that do Paintless Dent Repair are darn good at minor touch ups too.

Paintless Dent Repair is darn near "magic".

Tom
                  I will definitely have it estimated at a local paint shop. Thanks man.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');