• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Protection/Maintenance on New Painted Hood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protection/Maintenance on New Painted Hood

I am having the hood on the new car that I polished through the clear coat last week repainted on Monday. Knowing that I cannot seal it for at least 30 days I want to give it some level of protection. From the thread I had on the incident I got suggestions of M07. Is there any detailing sprays that could be used? I dont think I can use the UQD which as someone else mentioned will be painful for me. I will use it on the rest of the car though in the meantime. Can I still use the Gold Class or Shampoo Plus for washing? Thanks for all the help.

Re: Protection/Maintenance on New Painted Hood

You can wash it. Not positive on the M07 (a polish and not a protectant), I would imagine the M07 will wash off easily.

Double check on the time though, I've read a lot that 60 days is the norm for paint cure time.
    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Originally posted by Nappers View Post
      You can wash it. Not positive on the M07 (a polish and not a protectant), I would imagine the M07 will wash off easily.

Double check on the time though, I've read a lot that 60 days is the norm for paint cure time.
      The shop told me 30 days but I might split it and wait 45 just to be safe. Man that will hurt. Just a note, I checked the shop I am having the work done at on the BBB website and they have had 0 complaints in the last 3 years. For a body shop that seems an impressive feat. At least that is what I am telling myself.

Comment

Tons of related info in this thread.
        The only reason some people get lost in thought... is because it is unfamiliar territory for them.
        --VoicesInMyHead--
        0101011101100101001000000100000101110010011001010010000001000111011001010110010101101011

Comment

If they are high end and do a lot of work, that is great.

When you do finally get to wax her, do a proper 5 step

It's amazing what you get off of fresh paint with a clay bar.

Great article btw Voices
          Last edited by Nappers; Jan 9, 2009, 07:13 AM. Reason: great article VoicesInMyHead
          Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

You can use M07, but it will wash off so you will have to reapply it. Something is better than nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by VoicesInMyHead View Post
              Tons of related info in this thread.
              That is the correct thread for anyone dealing with fresh paint and wondering what they can do and when they can do it.

Cool Avatar by the way...

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

As for applying something with some protection to fresh paint, here's the 10th post in the linked-to thread above...

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                Yes. M80 Speed Glaze contains a protective paintable polymer and is completely safe for use on fresh paint.
                It's not like an actual coating of wax but it is fresh-paint safe polymer that the other polishes in our line do not contain.

If you want to use it you would buy a quart of M80 Speed Glaze, shake it up well, then apply a thin coating by hand with a clean, soft foam applicator pad and either wipe if off right away or if you want, you could allow it to dry and then wipe it off.

Normally we don't allow cleaner/polishes and pure polishes to dry but it could be that letting a thin film of M80 dry would maximize the protection aspect of the paint safe polymers. This question has come up before on the forum but I don't recollect the answer. I'll check and verify.

Even so, the amount of protection is very little and anything that would ever land on the paint that is corrosive enough to harm the paint would get past the protection. A better plan would be to take the car out of service during the waiting period but if this is not possible then just be careful and do the best you can.

Keep some M34 or Quik Detailer along with some clean, dry microfiber polishing cloths to remove any contaminants quickly off the paint.

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');