• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is a pad dead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When is a pad dead?

How does one know when a pad is passed usefullness? What do you look for? How long does one last?

Also, can it be used for something else once it's passed its intended use?

Thanks for any info.
    Paul Marmarinos
    Flawless Prestige Car Detailing
    "The trouble with the world is that everyone's about three drinks behind" - Humphrey Bogart

Re: When is a pad dead?

Originally posted by Alfisti

Also, can it be used for something else once it's passed its intended use?

to play freezbe with your dog... ?
    Zitosonic Detailing Spot

Comment

Hmmmmm, good question. Maybe when the pad gets softer than original and the velcro is holding up as well??? I.e the velcro doesn't stick to the backing plate as well??? I'm not sure on this one, only throwing out ideas,,,,,,deadman98

Comment

Originally posted by deadman98
        Hmmmmm, good question. Maybe when the pad gets softer than original and the velcro is holding up as well??? I.e the velcro doesn't stick to the backing plate as well??? I'm not sure on this one, only throwing out ideas,,,,,,deadman98
        Sounds good to me.

I'm so new at this I hadn't had this come up yet. What about when the pads surface kind of gets pitted and the foam cells are tatty and torn??

Comment

What scrub said, you might see bits of foam coming off when you polish. I have one of my finishing pads on its last leg. I'll try to revive it if I can ,otherwise time to crack open a new one.
          my product collection-- New !
          My Detailing Credo
          Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill D
            What scrub said, you might see bits of foam coming off when you polish. I have one of my finishing pads on its last leg. I'll try to revive it if I can ,otherwise time to crack open a new one.
            Hey Bill! How do you revive the pad? Do you do any kind of washing to the pad to let the residue come off the pad? I'm really curious since pads are really expensive..
            2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

I was wondering the same thing. What has worked in the past (against Meguiar's recommendation) to help remove built up product is to use a small stream of water from the kitchen sink and a nylon bristle brush. I rinse the pad very lightly. Just enough to moisten the top of the pad and mostly the caked on product. Then I lightly spread the water and try to gently remove the caked product. Seems to do a good job and minimizes damage to the pad. I then dry the pad by placing the pad on a towel and pressing the water out. By not soaking the pad with water will prevent the velcro from getting wet and coming off.

Comment

I'm going to try it using this special sput I have, one side of it looks like a cheese grater Worth a shot before trashing it.
                my product collection-- New !
                My Detailing Credo
                Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');