• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vinyl Stripes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinyl Stripes

What is the best way to clean and protect flat black vinyl stripes?

Re: Vinyl Stripes

I would just wash them and wax them like paint.
    Joel
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
    "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
    '99 F-150

Comment

Wash them as you do the rest of the car. Just be careful around the edges.

Since they are flat black you may want to try some Trim Detailer. Try it in a small inconspicuous area first.
      Scott

Comment

I wash them just like the rest of the car but you can not wax flat black because if you do it will make them shine.

Comment

Are they the stripes on the Mustang in your Avatar?

Are they painted on or a sticker?

Do they have a rough surface or flat and smooth?

Ryan
          Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway.

This is your life. Choose to live it to the fullest.

Comment

I'd assume if they are vinyl stripes, they aren't painted on?

Wash with the rest of the car, and use a vinyl protectant on them.

Comment

Not all vinyl stripes are equal. For instance, the stripes on RVs are often of different types of vinyl. Some vinyl mfgrs. ok waxing them. Others do not and the wax over time will cause the vinyl to dry out and crack. I know from personal experience on that one...learned the hard way. A vinyl protectant that does not contain petroleum distillates would be my choice.
              Barry

Comment

The problem with vinyl graphics is maintaining a new appearance over time. Usually a brand new car with brand new vinyl graphics looks good. As time goes by there are plenty of paint care products on the market to restore and maintain the paint but there's nothing really for vinyl graphics.

As time goes by the appearance of the vinyl graphics will tend to fade or become less crisp looking and if you keep the paint up then the difference in appearance between the paint and the graphics will become more pronounced over time.

Originally posted by BlueZero View Post

Since they are flat black you may want to try some Trim Detailer. Try it in a small inconspicuous area first.
                Meguiar's doesn't make a product for vinyl graphics and there is no recommendation for using Trim Detailer on vinyl graphics. That said I've used it successfully on most vinyl graphics I've worked on and also flat black plastic.

The trick is to softly work some product over the vinyl using a clean, soft foam applicator pad and then after a few minutes carefully and gently wipe off any excess using a clean, dry plush microfiber polishing cloth. Give the graphics a final wipe to insure a clear, uniform appearance.

Tip: Always fold your microfibers 4- ways to not only give you 8 wiping sides, but to also give the cloth some thickness which provides cushion between you hand and the surface.

Mike Phillips
                760-515-0444
                showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');