• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

best way to clean painted calipers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best way to clean painted calipers?

hey guys, last summer i painted my calipers white and when i could clean my car everyweek they looked great, but winter rolled in and i couldnt clean my calipers. i used high temp engine enamel. the thing is now they are really dirty, and i tried steam cleaner, foaming rim cleaner and they still are dirty? is there another way to clean them or should i just apply another coat in the spring

Re: best way to clean painted calipers?

Sorry we missed your post, since this was your first post to our forum,

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Originally posted by deathx View Post

the thing is now they are really dirty, and i tried,
    • steam cleaner
    • foaming rim cleaner

and they still are dirty? is there another way to clean them or should i just apply another coat in the spring
    Because calipers are exposed to high heat temperatures, chances are good the road grime has stained into the paint.

If steam cleaning and a foaming rim cleaner didn't make clean them well enough to meet your expectations then that's a good sign that nothing is going to clean them at least to the point where they are a nice, bright white look again.

One problem with something like this is the stronger the cleaner the more dangerous it can be to the paint itself.

If the texture on the caliper is smooth then you could try rubbing the paint with a paint cleaner like ScratchX or Deep Crystal Paint cleaner but if the exterior surface of the calipers is textured then this won't work.

At this point it might be faster to just remove them and repaint them, maybe go with a different color just to avoid this kind of cleaning issue in the future or maybe look into having them coated with a more dirt resistant coating.

Another option would be to run some full-face hubcaps?

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');