• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie products questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbie products questions

Originally posted by zeque View Post
    Sorry but I've something in mind that I would like to know, I got a 3M compound and I don't know if it will be more aggressive to use with a microfiber towel or the foam pad(yellow one) ???
    Both microfiber and foam are both more gentle to the paint than terry cloth, for the most part it's personal preference.

Foam has a uniform surface and most microfiber applicator pads have a nap, so used gently they are both gently, if you start pushing hard with both types of applicator pads and keep everything else equal then historically because a nap provides individual fibers and or fiber loops this would tend to give your product and pressure more bite than a even, uniform surface.

Quality of microfiber used to make applicator pads can be questionable so you need to make sure if you use microfiber that it is in fact not scratchy. Foam is pretty straightforward and also pretty much Bubba-Proof.

Ultimate Compound

Soft Foam Applicator Pads
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

They have had Turtle Wax Compound at my store years before Meg's came out with there consumer line version. I have never used it, I doubt it works as good as Meg's. Listen Mike's above posts.
      Matt

Comment

Hi all, here I left two pictures of the detail I did this Saturday. Saddly I couldn't remove all the swirls(didn't have the enough time) but the color that gave me DC2 and NXT 2.0 wax are great! Another thing that I noticed is that when I used the claybar it didn't come grey like if the paint needed. How should I keep the claybar so it can be ready and in good shape for next use? in the original package with QD ??
        As I said I didn't have enough time, so I only applied 1 hand of wax.
        Here the results, I know it can be better but I'm very happy with my car look. During the week I will try to get a few sun shots. Thanks to all that answered my questions

Comment

Another thing that I noticed is that when I used the claybar it didn't come grey like if the paint needed.
          You may just not have had that many surface bonded contaminants. Check out this thread, How often do I need to clay my car's finish?

How should I keep the claybar so it can be ready and in good shape for next use? in the original package with QD ??
          Many spray it with some QD and place in a small sealable sandwich bag. That's also what I do and it seems to work quite well.
          Last edited by gjohn28; Feb 2, 2009, 07:20 AM.
          2013 Highlander - black
          2010 TL - black

Comment

Thanks, now another thing that I noticed is that after cleaning the paint, or removing the wax appeared static over the paint, how can I avoid this? cause makes dirty to stick in the paint...

Comment

Water will remove static electricity. This happens when your hand moves over the surface in a back and forth motion usually when you're using a dry cloth.

If it's really bad then wipe the paint down with a quick dealer of some sort as most quick detailers contain water.

You can also take a set of Jumper Cables and ground the car to an earth based ground, usually a steel plumbing pipe will work out in your garage or stake a steel pole into the dirt and wire to it.

I've worked on some classic Corvettes where the static charge would get pretty bad and you can ground out the car frame but not the fiberglass body.

It's a minor problem, just remove any excessive dusting with a clean microfiber and a quick detailer and move on to the next step.

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for the quick answer Mike, let me check if I understood, you mean to put one cable touching the body paint of the car and another a pipe for example? if so, I will try it next time as it sound very logic

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');