• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help With Fresh Paint Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help With Fresh Paint Problem

I recently (Jan 21) had my rear bumper repaired/repainted at the body shop. I had some scratches and chipped paint on the left side from a minor accident and they had to repaint the entire bumper to properly blend it.

We've had just enough snow since then that my bumper has been pretty much constantly covered with salt during the week until I can wash it off on the weekend. Because it was so cold, the first time I cleaned it I took to a DIY wash and sprayed it with the foam gun, rinsed it off and then immediately took it home and handwashed in my garage with ONR. I then wiped it down with M34. Due to heavy salt accumulation again this week, I washed it again this weekend, but at home with #00 wash. As I was drying, I noticed what looked like large water spots. I first tried M34 thinking this would remove them, but it didn't. I then tried M80 with a terry cloth pad which didn't seem to do anything either.

I've read that it's important not to allow defects to dwell on fresh paint, but how do I remove these without damaging the paint? I have 205, SwirlX and 105 but don't want to go too crazy with fresh paint.

Thanks.
    2013 Highlander - black
    2010 TL - black

Re: Help With Fresh Paint Problem

I would try #205 by hand on a foam pad, then #105 if needed.

Try to use as moderate a pressure as possible as well.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Ultimate Compound? w/foam applicator pad
      Nick
      Tucker's Detailing Services
      815-954-0773
      2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

I wouldn't use the terry cloth stuff anymore.

Try Ultimate Compound w/ Foam App. Or a microfiber one.
        Matt

Comment

I was thinking of trying the 205, but was a little concerned 105 might be a bit too aggressive for the new paint. I know the main concern with using any chemical on new paint is less about scratching or marring (after 2 or 3 days, anyway) than it is sealing/outgassing, but I still want to make sure I'm not going over-board on correction.

Are SwirlX and UC safe for fresh paint? I thought I recently read a thread regarding this, but I'll be darn if I can find it.
          2013 Highlander - black
          2010 TL - black

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
            I would try #205 by hand on a foam pad, then #105 if needed.

Try to use as moderate a pressure as possible as well.
            Thanks, Murr. I was going to try the 205, but ran out of time. I was a little concerned 105 might be a bit too aggressive for the new paint. I know the main concern with using any chemical on fresh paint is less about scratching or marring than it is sealing/outgassing, but I still want to make sure I'm not going over-board on aggressiveness.

Originally posted by Tuck91 View Post
            Ultimate Compound? w/foam applicator pad
            Originally posted by Megafast13 View Post
            I wouldn't use the terry cloth stuff anymore.

Try Ultimate Compound w/ Foam App. Or a microfiber one.
            Tuck/Megafast, thanks. Are SwirlX and UC safe for fresh paint? I thought I recently read a thread regarding this, but I'll be darn if I can find it.
            2013 Highlander - black
            2010 TL - black

Comment

Well, #105 and #205 are body shop safe, so they should be fine for curing paint as well. I dont believe SwirlX or UC would leave anything behind either though.

You would certainly try a mild product with a mild way of applying it first, hence my thinking for #205 since you have it. Just doing it by hand on a foam applicator might be all you need.

Comment

Also why dont you garage your new paint job'd car for a week or so so its not too fresh...but best of luck with your correction. Plz do post some before and after pics for us. I would use M205 and if that doesnt work go with M105 and then finishing it off with 205. But plz do post some pics of the results

Comment

Just had my bumper repainted a while back it it has been covered with ice and salt ever since. Washed it this weekend and it looks fine. I really don't think you need to worry, and if it was my vehicle, I would not put anything (wax, etc.) on it so soon.

Comment

Originally posted by gjohn28 View Post
                    Are SwirlX and UC safe for fresh paint? I thought I recently read a thread regarding this, but I'll be darn if I can find it.
                    Both ScratchX 2.0 and Ultimate Compound are body shop safe and safe for use on fresh paint.

Where are you at with the water spots? Hopefully something light like M205 with a foam applicator by hand should work them out.

Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                      Both ScratchX 2.0 and Ultimate Compound are body shop safe and safe for use on fresh paint.

Where are you at with the water spots? Hopefully something light like M205 with a foam applicator by hand should work them out.

I am going to try 205 with a foam applicator as soon as I get the chance. If that doesn't work, since I already have it, I'll try 105. Just never had water spots this hard to remove before. Would the fresh paint have had something to do with them etching into the paint more than normal?

Will take "after" pics when I'm done.

Thanks for the help.
                      Last edited by gjohn28; Feb 9, 2009, 05:01 PM.
                      2013 Highlander - black
                      2010 TL - black

Comment

Possibly. Though the fresh paint may also help them come out easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                          Possibly. Though the fresh paint may also help them come out easier.
                          That's what I would have thought, too, but it doesn't seem to be the case.
                          2013 Highlander - black
                          2010 TL - black

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');