• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using a Cyclo with #9 to remove swirls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a Cyclo with #9 to remove swirls

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    If you're working by hand, pick up some soft foam wax applicator pads and some #9 Swirl Remover 2.0 and work this product over about a 16" square section like you're applying skin lotion to your skin and after working it for about a minute wipe the residue off and continue doing this until you go around the entire car. Then apply a coat of #7 and #26
    I picked up one of the Cyclo polisher kits to alleviate most of the work on the first step. Is it appropriate to use the #9 with one of the lighter cutting pads. If so, are there any "tips" to applying this stuff with a machine?

If possible, I plan to utilize the polisher for the first and last stages (I plan to apply the glaze by hand).

Any advice would be appreciated.

-Eric

Re: Detailing Lacquer Paint on 87 GM car

Originally posted by sd-slider View Post
    I picked up one of the Cyclo polisher kits to alleviate most of the work on the first step. I

s it appropriate to use the #9 with one of the lighter cutting pads. If so, are there any "tips" to applying this stuff with a machine?
    Yes, use the #9 but use it with a polishing pad, not a cutting pad. M09 is a
    very light cleaner/polish so start by doing a test spot and make sure you're getting the results you're looking for in one small area before tackling the entire car.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: Detailing Lacquer Paint on 87 GM car

I tested an area with the polishing pads and it removed the swirls pretty good. Now I am left with the light scratches that look like someone wiped the car down with a damp rag many times over the years without a good washing.....there are also a few very light "blems" or small areas where it looks like something left its mark on the paint that are also more apparent now.

When I run my fingernail over some of the more obvious scratches, I don't feel any ridges...they are just more pronounced now(without the distraction of the swirles and very light scratches...).

I'll setup the tripod and get some good pics for reference tomorrow.

Comment

Re: Using a Cyclo with #9 to remove swirls

These are a few shots of some of the issues. I'm also getting a cloudy finish when I apply the # 26.

Comment

Note for above pics:

The pics shown are not after the application. They are just examples of some of the light "scratches" that are behind the swirls.

The photo of the "blem" is of one on the roof. The pic with the "bumps" is on the passenger side behind the side rear window. Don't know exactly what they are, but I'ver heard horror stories of these cars leaving the factory with these types of issues.

Thanks.

Comment

What are you working on?
            • Brand new car?
            • Older car?
            • Has it been repainted?

The picture of the blem doesn't look like anything I've ever seen from the assembly line, it looks more like something has landed on the paint and mottled it or possibly touch-up paint? Is it tree sap that's hardened?

Polishing with a foam pad and a machine polisher isn't going to fix the blem.

M26 doesn't cloud paint, there must be something else going on?

Have you considered driving up from San Diego for one of our classes? We have people drive up from San Diego all the time, in fact we have entire car clubs drive up from San Diego?

This weekends class if full but we could squeeze one more person in if you sign-up today, if not the next Saturday class is

Saturday Classes for 2009
            All Saturday Classes are Open Classes, any Registered Member can attend by signing up for a class by replying to the sign-up thread.

2009 Saturday Class Schedule
            March
            March 7th - Open Class
            March 21st - Advanced Class #5

April
            April 4th - Open Class
            April 25th - Open Class - "Ladies Only"
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment