• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DC Wet Look Cleaner Wax on DA - taping required?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC Wet Look Cleaner Wax on DA - taping required?

Hi all,

I really like the DC Wet Look Cleaner Wax every once in a while to bring back clarity between details. Usually I apply by hand and get great results, but I'm thinking I could take it up another notch with a forced action DA.

I was hoping to apply with my Festool Rotex on a light polishing/finshing pad. Is there any need to tape edges? I'd like to carefully apply the cleaner wax over the edges. Does anyone see any problem with this?

My car has GM paint that is towards the hard side. The "edges" are not overly edgy.

Thanks, Nick.

Re: DC Wet Look Cleaner Wax on DA - taping required?

When I apply wax I do not.
    I do the big areas with the machine and the smaller areas by the trim by hand.
    If you do not want to use your hand I would tape up for sure.
    Joel
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
    "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
    '99 F-150

Comment

When using the Cleaner Wax, are you looking to correct swirls or just add protection?

If you want to remove some light swirls, try the polishing pad. If you are just looking for added protection, just use a finishing pad.

I'm really not sure if there is a recommendation for using cleaner waxes with a forced rotation polisher.

I like to take when doing paint corrections, but I do not tape when waxing. Sometimes, there is a bit of dust from the compounds, so it helps to keep gaps clean. Other than that, I just be careful when applying the protectant.

By the way, how do you like the Rotex?
      Chris
      Dasher Detailing Services

Comment

Thanks Carfire, what you say makes sense.

The Rotex is a beautiful machine - I really like the forced rotation, makes a world of difference. I have the Festool Rotary as well, but the Rotex is much safer and has plenty of bite. I've only done 30 hours with it, but it seems well built.

Comment

Originally posted by Slicked View Post
          I was hoping to apply with my Festool Rotex on a light polishing/finishing pad. Is there any need to tape edges? I'd like to carefully apply the cleaner wax over the edges. Does anyone see any problem with this?
          Meguiar's doesn't recommend buffing on edges as usually the paint will tend to flow out and off more than a flat panel and thus be thinner.

A good "Best Practice" with any kind of tool is to buff up to the edge, but don't buff on the edge. Try not to get any of this product on any black plastic or rubber trim however.

Originally posted by PorscheGuy997 View Post
          I'm really not sure if there is a recommendation for using cleaner waxes with a forced rotation polisher.
          Shouldn't be a problem as long as the surface isn't being heated up an more than what a DA Polisher would created.

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');