• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skipping and Chattering windscreen wipers- HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skipping and Chattering windscreen wipers- HELP!!

Hey everyone,

Windscreen wipers are skipping and so on constantly... only fairly new so no need to replace yet.... I think lol...Is this caused by something on the windscreen?? Any ideas or tips on how to stop them skipping?? Takes the fun out of driving when you cant see where your going haha...

Any help appreciated...

Thanks

Re: Skipping and Chattering windscreen wipers- HELP!!

clay the window.

Comment

Did you put anything on the windshield like RainX or Aquapel? I've used RainX and developed chatter thereafter, but you can try claying the windshield as mentioned above and also clean your wiper blades with some APC and a warm water rinse.
      ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

What brand of wipers are you using?

Claying the window and maybe even using something like #83 on it will clean it really good. The wipers may be the main problem though.

I recently bought the 'frame-less' wipers. Ended up going with the Michelin Radius's. Work great so far, they are the only wiper Ive ever used on my jeep that do not lift off the glass at high speeds(70mph+).
        Current Jeep: 2004 Jeep Liberty with stuff

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
        Live on the edge... try something new, try NXT Tech Wax 2

Comment

The thing is that one seems to cause chatter on one window/wiper combination seems to be quiet on another. For instance, I use RainX often, but that causes some peoples wipers to chatter. But mine are fine.

Definately use a good glass cleaner, and then clay the window.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Hey

thanks all for your input and advice...

Bought new wiper blades today and before i put them on i clayed the windscreen and then cleaned with NXT gen window cleaner, but still they are skipping and chattering...

Any advice???

thanks again

Comment

Get a new car? Just joking. I would use a compound like 83 or 105. There must be something on the window that is causing the problem. I never use aquapel or rain-x for that reason. I find that if the window is very clean it will repel water just fine without an added product.

Comment

Umm, I love Rain-X. I've never had a problem with it. Rain-X or any other glass treatment makes your glass very slippery. If you still have those problems after a treatment then I would look at the wipers themself to see the angle which there hitting the glass. May be you need alter the angle.
                What kind of car is this? Can you find a forum specifically for your car and ask there? Maybe someone has this problem and has found a solution, if it is your car.

Comment

Yeah, I might go and try a coating now. RainX is pretty quick and easy, and should be cheap.

Comment

I was thinking of this today. I figured out a theory, it's wiper not "leaning" the right way. Ya know it has to "flip" back and forth to squeegee the water. When the wiper doesn't "flip" back you'll get the "jumping" or "chattering".
                    What do you think?

Comment

Well, I only seem to get any chattering when the windshield is almost dry. I would seem to guess that it has to do with how lubricated/slick the glass is.

But it could be 3 or 4 things all coming together just right. Maybe how well the blade is held down, the shape of the window, etc as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                        Well, I only seem to get any chattering when the windshield is almost dry. I would seem to guess that it has to do with how lubricated/slick the glass is.

But it could be 3 or 4 things all coming together just right. Maybe how well the blade is held down, the shape of the window, etc as well.
                        What your saying fits my theory. Dry Glass + Misaligned Rubber = Chatter?

Solution: Film it in high speed! Like on "Time Warp" then we can see what's going on!
                        Last edited by Maserati Mario; Feb 15, 2009, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');