• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing the rockguard tape?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing the rockguard tape?

I recently had a portion of my passenger-side rear rocker panel repainted. The P&B shop didn't have the rockguard\side-sill protection tape to reapply on the rear passenger door sill at the time I picked up my car. They mailed it to me later, but I actually prefer to leave the rockguard tape off. I always thought it looked like a cheap add-on anyway. Is there a process to safely remove this tape? I would like to remove it from the other rear door sill, but I don't want to take paint off with it.

Re: Removing the rockguard tape?

Might check to see if the manufacturer has instructions for this on their website, besides that you might try warming up the area with a hair dryer?

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I think your talking about the rubber gasket type trim that goes and doors and sills? I don't like that stuff either.

I would try a claybar and a light paint cleaner/compound.
      Matt

Comment

Try a QD it normally works for me.
        Joel
        Firefighter/EMT-B
        Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
        "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
        '99 F-150

Comment

Assuming the paint is completely cured on that side you can just go ahead and peel it off. PIck at a small corner first then peel slowly from there. A hair dryer will act like a heat gun to soften the adhesive if you want. Keep the dryer moving back and forth so you dont burn the paint.. Dont need it to be super hot, just slightly hot. Use some simple green to clean off the sticky residue afterwards.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');