• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I get rid of my spider webbing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get rid of my spider webbing?

So, owning a black car has perks to being an awesome color, and cons, to showing swirl and spider webbing marks among other things.

I've tried researching on my own what to use to get rid of these spider webbing and nothing I've ever used works.

First of all, I have a crappy oribtal polisher, one of those from the autozone/pepboys etc. I've tried to get rid of the spider webbing by washing the car, using meguiars paint cleaner, then applying scratch x. Scratch X doesn't work AT ALL on my car. The spider webbing is only visible when light is shining directly upon it and you are close enough to see it.

What should I do? Can anyone guide me how to do it myself? I have been and always will be a DIYer but it seems that detailing is much harder than I imagined. Can anyone recommend to me any meguiars products to use along with any orbital polishers like the porter cables? Thanks all.

Re: How do I get rid of my spider webbing?

Well for starters, welcome to MOL!

As for what might help you, I suggest picking up some Ultimate Compound, SwirlX, and ScratcX 2.0.

These three new products all make it much easier than before to remove swirls from paint, but since every paint is different, it is nice to have a few choices to reach for.

Take a few minutes and read a few of these links too, as they go into more detail.

List 'o Links

Comment

When you say "ScratchX doesn't work at all" can you describe how you used it? The word the Meguiars pros will use when using ScratchX by hand is "passion". You've got to work the product with a bit of passion. Often, more than once... however, if you are talking about your entire car being covered, here is what I would do...

1. Throw away the orbital for correction purposes. You're wasting your time with it if you want to correct defects in your clear.

2. Technically you could do your entire car by hand, but I assure you, it is way too brutal, so invest in a G110 dual action polisher.

3. Get some good polishing compounds. I would recommend M105 and M205.

4. Wash your car with a good quality wash, lambswool mit and two buckets with grit guards (this won't get rid of swirls but it is the best way at preventing them in the future so it is a good habit to start now).

5. Clay the car.

6. Tape off a small "test spot" using painters tape. Maybe 12" x 12". Start with the least agressive product, M205 and your G110 and the appropriate pad.

7. After you've worked the test area, clean it pull the car into sunlight and see if it has worked. If it has, now you know what you have to do. If it hasn't, try M205 a second time. If it doesn't work, you could try an intermediate type polish like M83 or just jump to the big dog, M105.

8. In the same test area, try the M105. Check test spot, see if it worked. If so, you'll want to "finish" the same area with M205 because it will leave your paint LSP ready, whereas M105 might not.

9. It's basically a process of finding what combination of products and equipment are going to work for you. I think if light swirls are all you are facing, a G110 and some M105 will more than do the trick. If you have MAJOR defects, you might have to step up to a rotary, but at this point, that is putting the cart way ahead of the horse.
      ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Can't count how many people have said ScratchX doesn't work at our classes or on this forum and then when they learn the right technique they find out id does in fact work.

Luckily, our new ScratchX uses a our new Super Micro Abrasive technology and works faster while being easier to use. It's still going to take you about 3-5 hours to rub out your entire car by hand because you have to work small sections at a time.

You listed desert as your location? Where are you located? I'm in Apple Valley, if you're close to Apple Valley I'll show you first hand how to use the correct technique for applying paint cleaners or you can sign-up for our Saturday class this weekend.

Saturday Classes for 2009
        All Saturday Classes are Open Classes, any Registered Member can attend by signing up for a class by replying to the sign-up thread.

2009 Saturday Class Schedule
        March
        March 7th - Open Class
        Here's a few pictures from our last Saturday Class where we went over exactly what you're wanting to do...

It's important to know how to work by hand and machine, here we go over the correct
        way to hold the pad and work it with the Ultimate Compound over the paint.

Check out the rest here and see if it's something you would be interested in...

Pictures and Comments from our Saturday February 21st Class
        Another fun day at Meguiar's Garage!

Click here to read more or add your comments...
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

When I used scratch x, I worked it in very well, multiple times. I mean from straight on you can't see the scratch, but at angles you can see many fine scratches. Is swirl x better than scratch x? Honestly I have no idea what you mean by scratch x 2.0. I can't remember when I bought the scratch x. I am looking at the meguiars ultimate compound. Will this be okay to remove my fine scratches, or is this too aggressive?

Comment

Originally posted by 20civic07 View Post
            When I used scratch x, I worked it in very well, multiple times. I mean from straight on you can't see the scratch, but at angles you can see many fine scratches. Is swirl x better than scratch x? Honestly I have no idea what you mean by scratch x 2.0. I can't remember when I bought the scratch x. I am looking at the meguiars ultimate compound. Will this be okay to remove my fine scratches, or is this too aggressive?
            There are two formulas. ScratchX and ScratchX 2.0. 2.0 uses Super Micro Abrasive technology and has more cut than the orginal (ie: should work faster and eliminate more severe defects).
            ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Read through this, it's our new products for 2009, the swirl and scratch removers are all based on brand new technology.

If you pick up any of the new swirl and scratch removers, be sure to pick up some foam applicator pads to apply them with, you need to make sure you always use clean, soft applicator pads to apply products like these as you car's paint is easily scratched.

Click on the images to go to their dedicated threads...

Swirl and Scratch Removers

Ultimate Compound
              ScratchX 2.0
              SwirlX

Most aggressive to least aggressive -->

Ultimate Quik Wax and Clay Replacement Kit
              Ultimate Quik Wax G17516
              Smooth Surface Clay Bar Replacement Kit

Supreme Shine Protectant - New Look for Natural Shine Protectant
              Supreme Shine Protectant
              Natural Shine Protectant - New Look!

Hot Shine Gel Kit - New Look for Endurance High Gloss
              Hot Shine Gel Kit
              Endurance Tire Gel - New Look!

Headlight and Clear Plastic Restoration Kit

Fresh New Look to Popular Favorites!
              Deep Crystal Polish - New Look!
              Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax - New Look!
              ColorX - New Look!

M205 Ultra Finishing Polish & **NEW** M105 Ultra Cut Compound now for DA Polishers!
              M205 Ultra Finishing Polish
              M105 Ultra-Cut Compound - New Formula DA Polisher Approved

Washable 7" Soft Buff 2.0 Foam Pads
              W7207 Washable Foam Cutting Pad
              W8207 - Washable Foam Polishing Pad
              W9207 - Washable Foam Finishing Pad

Soft Buff 2.0 Backing Plates
              W68DA G110/G220 Dual Action Polisher Backing Plate
              W68 Soft Buff 2.0 Rotary Buffer Backing Plate

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com