• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie with questions and ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie with questions and ideas

First need to give props to a friend of mine for telling me to order the PC from Meguiars and getting me hooked on both the products and the forums. Thanks Karey. Second need to give props to Jeff, the rep I talked with when I ordered everything. Thanks Jeff. Third, gotta give the props to Mike. If I only had a bigger brain to store all of the knowledge and know hows that he knows.

Been reading the forums for about a month now, trying to figure out proper steps and speed settings and pressure and products to use and accessories and........ yea, I have a headache. I was one of those that washed their car and rubbed on some wax and wiped it off.

Just read the post about the WW towel to dry the car with. Well, my question is what about the wash mit. Sorry if this has been posted before. I know about the Grit Guard and should have ordered one when I placed the original order, DOH. When the micro towels say that they trap the dirt in the 200,000 fibers sure it is trapping the dirt, but if that dirt is trapped, isn't that just going over the car and causing micro scratches. So, what would be the best product to use or am I just looking into it to much?

Also, second part, suggestion and not sure where to put it.
    Mike, you do an awesome job with the How To Articles. Definately need to put more out there. You were also talking about doing training videos. While this might take away from the video that you all sell, don't think it will pass, but a good idea to toss out there. Possibley adding a How To Video tab at the top like Gallery, or adding it as another section to the forums, just an idea.

Items ordered.

Porter Cable
    2 8006
    1 9006
    Final Inspection
    NXT Wax
    Microfiber Towel

Hi TimBlues20,

First, thank you to your friend Karey for sharing Meguiar's Online with you, second thank you for the kind words towards Jeff and myself. Thank you.

Check out this thread for some information on car washing,

Sheepskin Mitt

The idea behind a quality wash mitt or any washing material that traps the dirt in it's nap is to prevent the dirt from touching the surface and thus prevent instilling scratches. After washing a section of the car, the next part, and this is key... is to submerge the wash mitt into a bucket of water where hopefully a lot of the dirt particles will rinse off the mitt and into the water. This is the purpose and idea behind using the 2-bucket method of washing a car, one wash bucket contains your soap solution, while the other bucket contains fresh water. It is this second bucket of fresh water that you are trying to rinse off the dirt particles from your mitt so that you don't introduce them into your soap solution, or re-introduce them to your car's finish.

At least... that's the idea. It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing.

I like to write how-to articles, but it is time-intensive, and takes me away from answering questions on the forum. Today for example has been a very busy day. Earlier this week I went over 4000 posts and if you click on any member's profile you can see their post count and their average posts per day, mine is at 16 right now, which seems kind of low by there are some days, mostly Sunday's where I don't post very much at all.

I'm going to learn how to incorporate video into the web, and this should help out a lot as far as sharing tips and techniques.

Again, thank your for the compliments and the suggestions.

Mike
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I'm going to learn how to incorporate video into the web, and this should help out a lot as far as sharing tips and techniques.

Mike [/B]
      Mike and TimBlues20,

Sorry for the temporary highjack of the thread, but I think the videos is a great idea. It would be nice to have the Meguiar's "How to remove paint defects" series of videos available here, and in another format besides RealPlayer (Windows Media Player is the most used). They are very helpful videos.

Just a thought
      Boss_429

Comment

I agree that more how-to's and videos would be great to have. However, Mike is super-human when it comes to detailing and knowing his information, but there are only 24 hours in a day and superman can only do so much . Mike has said that he has a few How-To's up and coming.
        Chris

"Once a Meguiar's user...always a Meguiar's user!"

1994 Accord

Comment

and in another format besides RealPlayer (Windows Media Player is the most used)
          Please consider supporting QuickTime!

Comment

Originally posted by magnus
            Please consider supporting QuickTime!
            That would be my vote too.
            PP

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');