• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Synthetic sealant or(ptfe)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synthetic sealant or(ptfe)?

Hi guys. I got familiar with Meguiars for a year ago, and got hooked I love your products! Sometimes it seems like magic

When it comes to polish/shield the car. I have both red and heard different statements. So what have you guys to say about this?

What have the most durability, syntetic sealant or ptfe? (for example Qmi or NanoLotus).

I have been using NXT Tech Wax 2.0, and are now thinking of trying Syntetic Sealant 2.0. Or even ptfe.

Where I live, there is almost always wet and dirty in the winter season. And the roads are pretty salty. Which tear a lot on the paint (and even the whole car...). So, in the winterseason, I would like to put on some very durable shield.

In the summerseason, I like it shine much as possible
    So, what products should I use for the winter season?

Re: Syntetic sealant or ****** (ptfe)?

Since this is your first pot to our forum, welcome to Meguiar's Online!

Originally posted by Zaronn View Post

When it comes to polish/shield the car. I have both red and heard different statements. So what have you guys to say about this?

What have the most durability, synthetic sealant or ptfe? (for example Qmi or NanoLotus).
    There's no such thing as a miracle wax or paint sealant, there's lots of marketing to convince you something like this exists but the fact is there is no such thing as miracle wax or paint sealant that prevent all damage from corrosive elements that come into contact with your car's paint and last forever.

Modern car paints are pretty tough, at least compared to the older single stage paints from before the 1980's. They resist breakdown better but they will still breakdown or be affected by corrosive elements that make contact with the paint.

Now follow me on this,

Anything that lands on the paint that is strong enough to actually etch or harm the paint is going to obliterate your micron thin coating of wax or paint sealant. The most you can hope for is for the wax or paint sealant to slow down the corrosive action of the offending contaminant.

For example most bird droppings contain uric acid, if the bird dropping is in contact long enough with the surface of the paint the acid will etch past the coating of wax or paint sealant and etch the paint.

So when it comes to the claims of all product, sometimes the best thing you can do is to buy the ones you're interested in and put them through your own test and then go with the one you like the best.

See my Sig Line for more information...

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Re: Synthetic sealant or(ptfe)?

Haha! I had no idea what "ptfe" stood for (and I imagine I'm not alone in that here on MOL), so I did a Google search. For those who do not know, "ptfe" refers to polytetrafluoroethylene, i.e., T*f**n. Swissvax's Shield contains ptfe, for example.

Does ptfe add to the durability of a sealant or wax? A quick review of the detailing forums reveals little support for ptfe wax products. When durability is the question, the products most commonly invoked on these forums are Collinite 476s, FK 1000p, and Zaino. Meguiar's users commonly use NXT, M21, and M20 as their winter waxes, though outside the U.S. #16 also enjoys strong support. Hope this helps, Zaronn.
      Last edited by akimel; Mar 10, 2009, 07:55 AM.
      Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
      --Al Kimel

Comment

Why can't you guys type ******?

EDIT: I see now, MOL has blocked it. Strange.
        NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by ColonelCash View Post
          Why can't you guys type ******?

EDIT: I see now, MOL has blocked it. Strange.
          It has to do with trademark laws.

Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

As I understand it, the only benefit PTFE offers is that it makes application and removal easier. Apparently, it does nothing to the actual wax left behind. At one point, even DuPont stated that PTFE offers no benefits to car wax. It's just another marketing hook.
            Paul Marmarinos
            Flawless Prestige Car Detailing
            "The trouble with the world is that everyone's about three drinks behind" - Humphrey Bogart

Comment

Originally posted by Alfisti View Post
              As I understand it, the only benefit PTFE offers is that it makes application and removal easier. Apparently, it does nothing to the actual wax left behind. At one point, even DuPont stated that PTFE offers no benefits to car wax. It's just another marketing hook.
              Probably due to the fact that ptfe requirs a properly prepped metal surface and about 700 degrees to actually bond...

So who is going to sand their paint off and try out some ptfe sealant?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
                Probably due to the fact that ptfe requirs a properly prepped metal surface and about 700 degrees to actually bond...
                Exactly!
                Paul Marmarinos
                "The trouble with the world is that everyone's about three drinks behind" - Humphrey Bogart

Comment

Hehe. True, I think you got a point Mark. And thats makes sence why its being used a lot in the industry/mechanics. Where it should do a lot better job than it does on paint. There is no doubt I continue being loyal for Meguiars then Thanks for your help! Then Im wondering going for the Syntetic Sealant 2.0 instead of NXT Tech Wax 2.0 this time Or is it visa versa? One thing is that the Syntetic Sealant 2.0 is better to apply with DA right?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                    It has to do with trademark laws.
                    On a discussion forum?
                    Paul Marmarinos

Comment

Originally posted by Zaronn View Post
                      Hehe. True, I think you got a point Mark. Thanks for your help. Guess I continue being loyal for Meguiars then Then Im wondering going for the Syntetic Sealant 2.0 instead of NXT Tech Wax 2.0 this time Or is it visa versa? One thing is that the Syntetic Sealant 2.0 is better to apply with DA right?
                      M21 2.0 is a professional version of NXT 2.0 whose only benefit/difference is that it can be applied with a ROTARY buffer. That said, it still isn't recommended to be used that way... but because Meguiar's knows many high volume shops would do it anyway, they made a product to suit that need.

For you, it really shouldn't matter for hand or DA application. The nice part about M21 2.0 is the larger size container you can purchase it in...but for personal use, NXT 2.0 is just fine.

Comment

so who is going to test it out?
                        2008 Toyota Corolla 5-spd
                        2005 Honda CRF250R
                        2002 kawasaki Ninja ZX9R

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');