• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What process to follow? Finished with Pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What process to follow? Finished with Pictures

I purchased a 2008 Jetstream Blue Corvette Z06 back in January, I havent had a chance to detail with the cold weather. Yesterday, I washed the car real well with Gold Class, I then used the Meguiars clay kit and clayed the car and put on a coat of the Cleaner wax that comes with the kit.
    I stopped here for the day and plan on continuing this afternoon after work.
    What products should I use next to get the best shine.
    Here are the products I have.
    Deep crystal Polish - Step 2
    NXT 2.0

What combination would be best to finish after my coat of cleaner wax?
    Last edited by blacktavert; Mar 12, 2009, 07:46 PM.

Re: What process to follow?

#7 would be the next step, then it is up to you. You could use either #26 two coats, #26 one coat covered with NXT 2.0, or two coats of NXT 2.0.
    Chef and Dr. of Min.

God is a good God, He loves you, and He wants to bless you.

Comment

Typically you want to apply the polish in between claying and waxing. Since it sounds like you've already put the cleaner wax on, you should probably either re-clay the car or just wash it with Dawn to remove the wax. Once you've done this go ahead and polish with #7. You have options with your wax. I would probably apply a coat of NXT 2.0, wipe it off, wait an hour or so then apply a coat of #26 for some extra protection, plus #26 offers a great shine.

Comment

Good process! You have already done the hard work. I'm sure the Vette already looks great. The paint surface is now prepared for your LSP. (I strongly but respectfully disagree with Sudsby. There is no need to re-clay the car, though you might want to wipe the car down with some quick detailer if dust has accumulated on it over the night. But if you have driven the car, you will want to wash it again. You don't want to wax if there's dirt and dust on the surface.) I would apply a coat of NXT on top of the Cleaner Wax and then stand back and admire your Corvette.

Cheers,
        Al
        Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
        --Al Kimel

Comment

I'm under the assumption that he's already waxed the car. If that's the case and he wants to put a polish on, don't you think he should take the wax off in order to do this?

Comment

I think that before he applied the cleaner wax. He should have applied the polish. Since he has already applied the cleaner wax, I would go to my lsp. Which in this case is the NXT2.0.
            quality creates its own demand

Comment

It won't hurt anything to put the polish right over cleaner wax and then follow with another wax. He stated he wanted the best best shine so a pure polish should be in the mix. I have read that some put polish on as a last step when at a car show. Of course without a wax to protect, it will not last long.
              Chef and Dr. of Min.

God is a good God, He loves you, and He wants to bless you.

Comment

Originally posted by drculinarian View Post
                It won't hurt anything to put the polish right over cleaner wax and then follow with another wax. He stated he wanted the best best shine so a pure polish should be in the mix. I have read that some put polish on as a last step when at a car show. Of course without a wax to protect, it will not last long.
                That would definitely work, like you said, just make sure to put another layer of wax over the polish.

Comment

I have not drove the car since I applied the Cleaner Wax, it has been in the garage the whole time. With my last car, I would typically put on a coat of NXT about every two weeks. I am looking more for shine than durability on this car since it is not daily driven.
                  Sounds like I am ok with putting on #7 and then putting on a couple coats of NXT 2.0.
                  Thanks for the responses.

Comment

Originally posted by drculinarian View Post
                    It won't hurt anything to put the polish right over cleaner wax and then follow with another wax.
                    I do not disagree, and I certainly do not want to stand in the way of any man who strives for that little bit extra in gloss and wetness.

Blacktavert, for the future, if you want to optimize your pure polishes, you may want to get yourself a bottle of paint cleaner--e.g., DC1 or SwirlX. The paint cleaner will clean and prepare your paint surface. (Apply the paint cleaner after claying, if claying has been part of the process.) You would then apply your pure polish, either DC2 or #7 (wipe-on, wipe-off). And finally you would apply two coats of your preferred wax (either NXT or M26 would be an excellent choice).

A cleaner wax accomplishes several tasks at once: it cleans and polishes the paint surface and lays down a coat of protection. You can then either leave it at that or you can apply a second coat of protection (NXT or M26). Cleaner waxes are excellent maintenance products (see: Your Daily Driver: A Simple Wash & Wax Regimen).

Have fun!

Cheers,
                    Al
                    Last edited by akimel; Mar 12, 2009, 01:48 PM.
                    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
                    --Al Kimel

Comment

Re: What process to follow? Updated with Finished Pics

Thanks for the tips. Since the car is less than a year old and the paint in good shape, would something like swirl-X be needed, or could i go straight from clay to polish to wax.
                      I am going to finish up today, and will try to post a picture tomorrow if it is nice enough to get it out.
                      Last edited by blacktavert; Mar 12, 2009, 07:14 PM.

Comment

Using a mild cleaner would probably be good. The cleaner/wax would count as a mild cleaner, or Deep Crystal Pint cleaner. The SwirlX is a bit stronger, but can still just be applied gently.
                        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Re: What process to follow? Update with Pics

I finished the car today.
                          After Clay and Cleaner wax, I put on a coat of #7 and then a cot of NXt 2.0, I am going to put another coat of NXT on tomorrow afternoon.
                          I put on a coat of rejex on the wheels
                          I almost forgot how easy it is to apply and remove products when you prep the car real well.
                          Here are some pictures, Not the greatest pictures, camera is real old

Comment

Re: What process to follow? Finished with Pictures

--Al Kimel

Comment

Re: What process to follow? Finished with Pictures

Absolutely Gorgeous!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');