• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detailing Question (swirls)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailing Question (swirls)

Hello,

Just out of curiosity, how would I gauge how severe my swirl marks are? I have a G100, which I plan on using, but it's not warm enough out to do the detail yet. However, I did wax my car the other day with Megs NXT 2.0, and now all of my swirls are virtually eliminated. I'm sure that the NXT has fillers, but if my swirls were very severe, wouldn't they still show with the wax? I also washed the car once afterwards, and I still don't see them.

Anyway, I plan on hitting the paint with Swirl X applied with the G100 on a W8006 pad. I'm hoping that this will eliminate the swirls all together. If not, I will try the M105/M205 combo.

Lastly, if anyone could let me know how you determine how severe your swirls are, prior to detailing, that would be great.

Thanks!

Re: Detailing Question (swirls)

Do a Test Spot

Apply the SwirlX to a small section when you first start out and then inspect the results from that section as compared to the rest of the paint surrounding it. If the swirls are gone than chances are they were light or shallow to start with as SwirlX is a light cleaner/polish.

There is no tool or method to test and come up with some kind of numerical measurement as to how deep swirls are or how shallow they are.

You just start by doing a test spot and use the least aggressive product to get the job done. It is your hope that you can remove the swirls using the least aggressive approach because that will restore a beautiful finish to your car while leaving the most paint on the car.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Joel
      Firefighter/EMT-B
      Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
      "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
      '99 F-150

Comment

I wouldn't worry about classifying the severity of your swirls. As Mike said, just do a test spot with SwirlX and a polishing pad and examine your results. If the swirls are still there, step up to Ultimate Compound or 105. You can also do an IPA wipedown on your test spot if you feel the need to assure yourself the swirls are indeed removed.
        2013 Highlander - black
        2010 TL - black

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');