• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going to detail for the first time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to detail for the first time

Hey guys, this is my first time detailing the car so I was wondering if I was doing this right (I've read through alot of posts but thought it wouldn't hurt to make one of my own).

1. Rinse the car off with water
    2. Wash with Meguiars Gold Class Car wash
    3. Dry car with microfiber towel
    4. Apply Meguiar's DC paint cleaner (Part 1 of 3 step process).
    5. Apply Meguiar's DC Polish (Part 2 of 3 step process)
    6. Apply Meguiars Gold Class Wax (Liquid)
    7. Use a microfiber cloth for the "final wipe"

I have a few questions though:
    1. I live in Arizona so the water dry's up pretty fast and the way our house is located, the only time I have to wash my car is in the morning (most of the time the sun is already up) and the water dry's up pretty fast. Any idea's on how I should wash my car without the soap drying fast? Someone told me that I should soap one part of the car, rinse off the entire car, soap second part of car, rinse entire car, etc... until I am done. Anything easier than that?

2. Is it ok if I apply the paint cleaner and polish with microfiber towels? (I only have one applicator currently for the wax but that will change soon)

3. How long should I wait for the wax before wiping it off? I know that the standard answer is let it haze but I read in another post that a user left it on for a hour and let the wax over dry and it left a white powder. So 30 min seems like a good estimate on how long I should let the wax stay on before wiping it off?

4. What do you guys recommend to use for streak free windows? I use Windex right now and wipe it off with a microfiber cloth but it seems that it leaves streaks behind.

I love your products (I've been using ultimate quick detailer and love it).

Re: Going to detail for the first time

1. Wash - Be sure to use two buckets, good quality sponges/towels. Grit Guard if possible.

2. Clay - If you can find a Smooth Surface Clay kit, definately clay the car.

3. Clean - DC1 is good.

4. Polsih - DC2 is good.

5. Wax - Two thin coats of Gold Class is good.

Questions:

1. Yeah... just gotta work quick if you cant find shade/cool time of day. A little soap drying wont really be a problem, its if you have hard water, you would like to avoid the hard water drying on the paint.

2. Ehhh.... It can be done, or applied with terry cloth. The foam pads are a bit gentler though, and you wont cake up all your towels.

3. You should be able to do a swipe with your finger over a few parts of the car, and have the wax come off easy and streak free. If so, that is a good sign to remove the wax.

4. Nxt Glass Cleaner and a MF towel is what I use. And a little Nxt goes a long way, using a lot might still get you streaks. And dont forget to clay the windows as well.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

As far as shade, unless I get the car to the west side of the house before 11:00, the sun starts peeking over the rooftop.

I usually have to make my own shade. A $10 tarp from Home Depot, stretched out from the garage to my trailer, secured by $5 worth of bungee cord tie downs secured at the roof works good for me all day.

Comment

Originally posted by Zodiac View Post
        4. What do you guys recommend to use for streak free windows? I use Windex right now and wipe it off with a microfiber cloth but it seems that it leaves streaks behind.

I love your products (I've been using ultimate quick detailer and love it).

Don't forget to clay bar! Also, if you can't find Nxt glass cleaner, Stoner Invisible Glass works really good, too.
        Shane
        1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera SL

If you trim yourself to fit the world you'll whittle yourself away. - Aaron Tippin

Comment

The Detailer Line Glass Cleaner Works really well for glass.

You can apply products with a MF towel, but I suggest using an applicator pad for much more even coverage and application.

Click the Link in my Signature for more info on the steps.
          Matt

Comment

That is mostly the steps I follow, although I clay between the wash and the cleaner. I'll just add a note because I've had people ask me this-the cleaner and polish do not need to haze like wax. Work in a very small area with them, because if the do dry, you will be cussing yourself for letting them! Wax is like ay other liquid, how quickly it will haze will vary by the weather (heat, humidity). Follow the swipe test someone else mentioned. I use the NXT window cleaner and like it. I've also heard good things about stoners.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys, planning on hopefully doing it tomorrow provided that I wake up early enough to start :p.

I knew you were not supposed to let the polish/cleaner haze because I saw that one post where it messed up the paint on that one guy's car.

I actually have another question, my car comes with a factory spoiler and I was wondering should I be waxing the underside of the spoiler as well or just the top and sides?

I'll check out the NXT Glass cleaner as well.

Thanks again.

Comment

I actually have another question, my car comes with a factory spoiler and I was wondering should I be waxing the underside of the spoiler as well or just the top and sides?
                Of course you can, assuming yo ucan get under it. . Would you feel you did a complete job if you didnt?

Comment

Or you can do it at night...thats what I did but because I the cold I got sick but my car looks good...I havent went to school for two days

Comment

Heck yes! In fact, you may want to consider waxing your door jambs as well--just make sure that they're very clean, or else you'll be introducing micromarring and spreading around all the gunk that inevitably builds up in there. If you do decide to do the door jambs, I usually save them for last (along with the rocker panels). This is because, even after a thorough wash, it's easy to miss these areas.
                    -Will-

CDO ATW

Comment

Haha sounds good, the spoiler isn't to small and I can easily fit my hand down there so I'll do that and maybe the door jambs as well. One more question (they just keep on coming :p ), my car has vinyl stripe on the side of the car and I was wondering what would be the best way to take care of that. I'm not sure if I should wax over it (don't want to mess the vinyl up) or if I'm supposed to use a different product on it. Any suggestions on that?

Thanks for the help.

*edit*
                      When detailing a black car, is there anything that will prevent dust from getting onto the paint? (I know of the quick detailer, I use that but just wondering if there is something else). Also, when cleaning the interior of the car what do you do to prevent it from getting dusty in there?
                      Last edited by Zodiac; Mar 13, 2009, 01:37 PM.

Comment

You can wax over the graphic (assuming it is smooth/glossy), just be sure to not rub on the edges. Just kind of wax along it, and remove the wax along it, not rubbing up into the edges.

Not a lot you can do about dust, inside or out. At least you can clost the windows and change any cabin air filters for the inside.

The only other thing to do is keep after it. I am sure it is a bit dustier where you are, but every week and a half or two weeks (or as possible with weather), I just use the Interior Quick Detailer on the hard surfaces and a quick round of Nxt Glass cleaner. Cant take more than 5 minutes to detail the whole thing. Then every 2-3 months I'll go around with some APC on the steering wheel, armrests, and put on a dressing like the Nxt Tech Protectant. (though I am sure I will switch to the new Supreme Shine when I get a new bottle.)

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');