• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home Depot Bucket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Depot Bucket

Recently I got Grit Guards and 2 Home Depot Buckets.
    I Was Wondering If Any One Has Had a Little Problem Get Them to Th Bottom.
    I Have To Use a Little Force When Placing my Grit Guard into The Bucket.
    Last Night I Used a Different Bucket and They Fell In Place So Nicely.
    I Also Think This Issue Has Added Swirls to My Truck!?!?!?!
    Joel
    Firefighter/EMT-B
    Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
    "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
    '99 F-150

Re: Home Depot Bucket

I think they actually sell buckets that go with the Grit Guards, those are meant to slide right in. I'm unsure of using the Grit Guards with other buckets, since I thought they would work also, guess not though...

Comment

I think first you should be a bit more polite, this sure as heck ain't the MOL I remember.

2nd, I think what he meant to say by this bucket causing swirls is that because the bucket didn't hold the grit guard like a grit guard bucket does, maybe some of the grit that was supposed to be held down by the guard sifted up and got caught in his mitt. As a result, it defeated the purpose...

Comment

Sorry Ryan.
        To answer the question, yes I am talking about the Home Depot bucket causing the swirls and the Grit Guard not fitting well.
        I am aware of the Grit Guard Buckets, but they are too much money for me.
        Joel
        Firefighter/EMT-B
        '99 F-150

Comment

I actually use 2 home depot buckets and the grit guards fit just perfect. Now Lowe's buckets are a different story.

I guess there are different sizes???
          2008 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 4.7L V8

Comment

Are the buckets more angled. Narrow to the bottom bigger at the top? Ive always recycled old 5 Gal. plaster buckets, (I clean them thorowly )

*edit*
            Ive never seen a Home depot bucket so I have no idea what they look like. lol
            Last edited by Fischer; Mar 12, 2009, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Just Push A Little On The Grit Guards And They Will Fall Into Place I Have Noticed What You Mentioned But They Did Fit With A Little Force I Dont Know It Would Have Caused More Swirls In Your Washing By Having The Grit Guard One Inch From The Bottom Of The Bucket If Anything Else It Would Have Given The Dirt More Room To Settle And Had Less Chance Of Coming Into Contact With Your Paint I Think You Need To Revisit That Idea Before Blaming The Poor Home Deopt Bucket Is This Hard To Read If So I Sorry
              NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

I use a pair of home depot buckets and the grit guards float up as you fill the buckets, but I just push them down with my hand after I finish filling and they remain in place.

Comment

Yes they are bigger at the top
                  Joel
                  Firefighter/EMT-B
                  '99 F-150

Comment

Originally posted by colonelcash View Post
                    just push a little on the grit guards and they will fall into place i have noticed what you mentioned but they did fit with a little force i dont know it would have caused more swirls in your washing by having the grit guard one inch from the bottom of the bucket if anything else it would have given the dirt more room to settle and had less chance of coming into contact with your paint i think you need to revisit that idea before blaming the poor home deopt bucket is this hard to read if so i sorry
                    lol

Comment

I use a couple of buckets from Menards that work just fine. Two for $5.00 on sale.No problem using the Grit Guards that I recall.
                      Live like you're not afraid to die.Don't be scared, just enjoy your ride. Chris Ledoux RIP

PAUL SPARKS / Distinctive Auto Detailing
                      317-513-4678

Comment

Regarding the grit guards, and this is just solely my opinion: I have nothing against them, but I personally think they are a waste of money.

If you have 2 5 gallon pails (one with soap, one for rinsing), and you fill both up generously with water and don't stick your sponge/mitt/brush or whatever you use to wash your vehicle with too close to the bottom of the bucket, you should have no problem with contaminating your washing instrument of choice.

I have never used grit guards as I feel they are not needed for me. Everyone has their personal choices, but I think they are hyped up a bit too much.

Comment

Originally posted by MyFirstES300 View Post
                          Regarding the grit guards, and this is just solely my opinion: I have nothing against them, but I personally think they are a waste of money.

If you have 2 5 gallon pails (one with soap, one for rinsing), and you fill both up generously with water and don't stick your sponge/mitt/brush or whatever you use to wash your vehicle with too close to the bottom of the bucket, you should have no problem with contaminating your washing instrument of choice.

I have never used grit guards as I feel they are not needed for me. Everyone has their personal choices, but I think they are hyped up a bit too much.
                          For a while, I agreed with you...but once I used the GritGuard I changed my opinion.

One of the benefits that GritGuards provides is a surface to rub the wash mit against and loosen up any dirt / grime / etc that is picked up during washing the car. For example, I keep 1 GritGuard in my rinse bucket. When rinsing my mitt, I rub my hand over the GritGuard to loosen up all the junk that is caught in the mitt. Then, when I go and re-soap the mitt, it is free of debris.

It's not so much of a barrier to keeping your mitt from touching the bottom as its a good way to clean your mit / brush before putting it back on your car.
                          NOTE: Post count does not reflect actual detailing knowledge.

Comment

I have noticed the same problem with some buckets. I have two older Lowe's buckets that my Grit Guards fit in fine. I purchased a 3rd bucket last year and they do not fit in very well nor do they make it to the bottom. All three buckets are the same size and from the same Lowe's.

Comment

Originally posted by MyFirstES300 View Post

Agree, i'll clean my mitt by rubbing it by hand and just use the top half of the bucket water never dipping the mitt lower than half way

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');