• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waxing... One or two coats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Waxing... One or two coats?

I voted for 3+, but my method may not be what you were asking about.

After paint prep I will apply one coat, put the car back in the garage and go collapse.

Next day it gets another coat.

Then two weeks later after a wash it gets another coat. This is a weekend driver only.

Comment

Two coats on rooves and boot lids,one on engine hoods and sides

Comment

I only detail my wife's daily driver and my car. Both of them initially get two coats after a paint cleaning, with periodic wax top-ups. What I am trying to figure out is how often should I clean the paint.

With my wife's car I am pretty much following the daily driver routine. When I use a cleaner wax, I will always top it with another wax/sealant. Next month, for example, I will wash and clay it, apply a coat of ColorX, and then top it with NXT. I expect two months to go by before I wax it again.

My Luthien receives a lot more attention. I will be attempting a two-day polishing session next month, and she will receive two coats of wax at that time. After that she will receive a monthly coat of wax until the fall polishing session. What I haven't decided is whether to clean the paint sometime in mid-summer. Luthien is garaged and only gets driven 7,000-8,000 miles per year. I do have a bottle of DC1, so I might decide to clean the paint in July, which I would then follow with two coats of wax--or maybe I'll just stick to the monthly waxing routine. I don't know. I'm trying to negotiate a regimen that seeks to maintain Luthien's appearance at a high level yet does not descend into obsessive-compulsive disorder. That may be a hopeless task.
        Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
        --Al Kimel

Comment

I always apply 2 coats. The second coat at least 12 hours later if possible.

Mike
          Why do we drive on a Parkway, and park on a Driveway

George Carlin

Comment

I always do at least 2 coats, one immediately after the first before any contaminates get on the finish. Additionally, I usually apply a third coat on the top and hood for more UV protection from the Florida sun.

Comment

I tend to do 2 coats, more because i enjoy doing it rather than any visual gain

Comment

Two Coats will Bead and Last Longer, but I tend to get Lazy and do 1 coat.

Two Thin Coats is Recommended though
                Matt

Comment

I usually do 2 thin coats, but 3 weeks ago i only did 1 thin coat of NXT 2.0, it still looks and feels the same (smooth, beads) as 2 thin coats, but dont know how long it will last.. I UQD almost every wash.
                  Ganesa,
                  Toyota Vios '05

Theres a difference in a person who has to do it and a person who wants to do it

Comment

If I'm waxing by hand, I always do two coats to ensure even coverage. If I'm waxing by machine, I always try to do two thin coats if I have time. If I'm pressed for time, one coat gets the job done just fine.

Comment

George McFly: Uh... now Biff, I want make sure that we get two coats of wax this time. Not just one.

Biff: Just finishing up the second coat now.

George McFly: Now Biff, don't con me!

Biff: I-I'm-I'm sorry, Mr. McFly. I-I meant I was just starting on the second coat.

Comment

Comment

2008 Toyota Corolla 5-spd
                          2005 Honda CRF250R
                          2002 kawasaki Ninja ZX9R

Comment

Originally posted by seth1066 View Post
                            George McFly: Uh... now Biff, I want make sure that we get two coats of wax this time. Not just one.

Biff: Just finishing up the second coat now.

George McFly: Now Biff, don't con me!

Biff: I-I'm-I'm sorry, Mr. McFly. I-I meant I was just starting on the second coat.
                            the quote says it all....
                            hehehe... nice..

and then it ends up with:

Biff Tannen: Oh, Marty... Marty, here's your keys. You're all waxed up, ready for tonight.

Marty McFly: Keys?
                            Ganesa,
                            Toyota Vios '05

Theres a difference in a person who has to do it and a person who wants to do it

Comment

I do 2 thin coats also.
                              But if I'm lazy I just do one then do the second the next day.
                              03' Honda Civic EX - 89,xxx mi.

Comment

I prefer to do two. I like the way water beeds after two applications.
                                Sleepy

Love the Classics!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');