• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My new Civic got into an accident today....!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new Civic got into an accident today....!!

I posted this on another forum but thought about sharing here with my new friends..

Went to the dealership to take care of a small thing that we left pending from when I bought the car 13 days ago. Was at the dealer for 5 minutes and drove out.

Got as far as 50 feet on the road and then tried to switch to the left lane after looking through the mirrors and seen NOBODY driving close by......I was wrong, this guy I think was in the "blind spot" that people call, never saw him...then the collision....!!!

Front bumper came off and some plastic shield pieces broke, plus the left headlight I think will need replacement.
    Hood looked ok to me and hoping no replacement will be needed but the left fender will need replacement.

Didn't have camera to take pics but I felt so DOWN knowing how meticulous I am with my cars and never being in a car accident EVER for over 20 years...!!!

Since I was 50 feet away from the dealer I bought the car from I left the car with them (Executive in Wallingford), but insurance appraisal person can't go and see car until Wednesday.......!!!

I hear that fenders don't come prepainted from Honda and body shops need to paint them.

I feel a little calm now because I need to understand that these things happen, it was just my time today.....

Police game me a $103 ticket which says something like "Failure to drive right"....

What gives? I told these 2 policewoman that it was my fault because I didn't see the car and that I have a VERY clean record with nothing wrong....they don't care even if you're an honest man...

Thank God that the damage was only the front bumper, a few plastic covers underneath and the side fender (nothing for the door or the hood...).

Sorry about posting this in this section.....
    New Civic Sedan 2009, Allabaster Silver Metalic
    Toyota Sienna 2004, Silver

Re: My new Civic got into an accident today....!!

Sry to hear about that brother. Accidents happen, the good thing is that you are ok. She will be fixed and looking good again anytime soon. It's hard to find honest people in the road.

Also you should try the M105/M205 combo, I heard it can fix anything
    2008 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 4.7L V8

Comment

I just left the car at the dealer, the incident was right there outside on the road, maybe 50 feet away, so I just left the car with them. I heard their body shop is very reputable and their work is very professional. I got that impression when I was there.

Comment

Aww man!
        So sorry, get those little blind spot mirrors. I've been using those for decades.
        Sorry about the tickets, but is is a violation to crash into something.
        Hope your insurance takes care of you.

Comment

I hear that fenders don't come prepainted from Honda and body shops need to paint them.
          That's true. Even a new car must be color matched, you can't rely on the paint code to account for variances.

Comment

Here's what happend to my gf

Comment

insurance told me they will take care of everything for me and most likely will need to pay repairs for the other car as well......my premium may go up....
              Will check if Metlife has the first-time incident forgiveness.....
              Wonder if this will go in the car records and how bad it would be....:-(

Comment

Sorry to Hear the Terrible News!!
                Joel
                Firefighter/EMT-B
                Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
                "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
                '99 F-150

Comment

I've never really understood why tickets/citations are issued for situations like that. DUI? Sure.

But a simple error like that? As if the other costs and hassle aren't bad enough...

Comment

yeah and insurance freaks out if your ticketed in an accident, that means they can't recover costs.

I was in a wreck when I was a kid, and the cop told me I was speeding but didn't ticket me as he thought I was already in a pickle (company van by my step dads business), totaled two cars. I was 18. I smoked at the time and the cop gave me a cigarette to boot!

The good ol' days.

Sorry to hear of your car. If you go through the dealer to repaint, it should be good. I had a Nissan hard body when I was younger and it developed door dings and they repainted and it was good to go until I sold it later. They did a good job. They sealed the doors so tight, it would pop your ears if the windows were rolled up.

Hope you get it fixed and they do a good job.

Take it to court or do a trial by declaration (slim to none to win those though, I work for a Sheriff's dept assigned to the courts here and there). Check your local court rules, here in Cali, if the cop doesn't show up for TRIAL (after your first appearance) then they dismiss if you do not want to continue for the cop to show up. Trial by declartion if available in your area is where you write up what happened and the cop does the same and a judge determines the outcome. Also, traffic school should help if you just pay the ticket and ask for traffic school if available in your area. Most courts allow internet traffic school and keeps it off of your insurance.
                    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Sorry to hear about your accident. Hopefully the dealer will fix it up as good as new.

Glad no one was hurt.
                      quality creates its own demand

Comment

Originally posted by Nappers View Post

Take it to court or do a trial by declaration (slim to none to win those though, I work for a Sheriff's dept assigned to the courts here and there). Check your local court rules, here in Cali, if the cop doesn't show up for TRIAL (after your first appearance) then they dismiss if you do not want to continue for the cop to show up. Trial by declartion if available in your area is where you write up what happened and the cop does the same and a judge determines the outcome. Also, traffic school should help if you just pay the ticket and ask for traffic school if available in your area. Most courts allow internet traffic school and keeps it off of your insurance.
                        hmm, thanks for chiming in pal, some friends tell me to play not guilty and most likely the fine may be reduced to half in court by the clerk, however I need to be prepared on what I say.

The thing is that I was honest (always try to) and told the cops it was my fault because I did what I could and looked through the mirrors but never saw the guy, yeah it was my fault....asked the two cops (2 women) to consider my VERY clean record and she said she would but "you're getting a ticket..."

What gives...!!!

I thought honestly plays a very good role when dealing with the police (I'm 42 and never been in court for nothing except for jury duty....) but still cops don't care.

What would've happened if I said that I saw a small animal (like a squirrel) running into the road but I switched lanes quickly avoiding to kill the animal?
                        Would the end result be different from the cops perspective and insurance perspective?

Please post more feedback 'cause I think I really want to return the ticket as "Not guilty" but want to make sure on what to say...

Thanks to all,

Comment

Just appeal the ticket. If you pay it, you are admitting fault (even though you are). In Ma, if the officer does not show up for the appeal, the failure to keep right will be found not responsible.

Comment

here in CT if you plea not guilty then you get a citation in court, you see a clerk and talk about what happened, he will then make a quick judgment and might cut the penalty in half, dismiss it or say you're responsible. At that point if you pursue it further then a citation with the cop is needed and the process follows.

Most of the times they see your good record and just say to pay half the ticket as a donation to whatever.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');