• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a little freaked about "micro marring"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a little freaked about "micro marring"

Ok here's the scoop, i have mikes DVD on how to use the PC for showcar results and have watched religiously, just got the G-110 from meguiars Canada, got the relativties to pick up swirl x and ultimate compound from the states, purchased m80 and a gallon of m83 and my claybar and in a couple of weeks when the snow melts enough i want to tackle my 2007 matrixs swirls , being a newbie with machine application i plan to indeed do my test spot first with m80 and see how this goes however i have read that in about 10% of cases using the DA with m80 can cause this "micro marring" which iam not entirely sure what that would look like, seems to be a haze produced on the surface, how , if i can, do i avoid this and more importantly if this does occur how do i remedy the sitution, heard m80 would clear that up correct? Thxs for your time and effort all

Re: a little freaked about "micro marring"

Where did you get the DVD from? I can only find a videotape.

Comment

Originally posted by nicepackage View Post
      got the relativties to pick up swirl x and ultimate compound from the states,
      Here's what you do, for your first Test Spot, use SwirlX with a yellow foam polishing pad on the 5.0 Speed Setting. Try to find and easy to buff panel since you're just starting out, on a Matrix might as well go for the hood as that's about all you have on that body style.

Buff a small section, about 16" to 20" squarish or so using medium downward pressure to start with and after making about 4 passes over this section lighten up your pressure to just a little more pressure than the weight of the machine and make some cover or finishing passes.

Don't buff to a dry buff. You should always be able to see a wet film behind the path of travel of the foam buffing pad while working the polisher.

Now wipe off the residue and inspect the results, try to inspect in sunlight and good artificial light, maybe get a Brinkman Swirl Finder Light?

Check to see if this removed the swirls and scratches to your satisfaction while leaving a clear, glossy finish. If so, the repeat this over the entire car, if not then post back here what you see or just try the Ultimate Compound next.

By doing the above you're using our new SMAT products and so far they have a great record of leaving behind a LSP ready finish.

Of course, for curiosity's sake maybe try the M80 also just to see how it works on your car's paint. M80 is a great product but some paints are not as polishable on others and this can show up as micro-marring or hazing so it's very important to do a couple of test spots and dial in a successful process.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by ClearlyCoated View Post
        Where did you get the DVD from? I can only find a videotape.

One place to find the "PC/DA" video Mr. Phillips was in.

Comment

Originally posted by TerryAdams View Post
          One place to find the "PC/DA" video Mr. Phillips was in.
          http://www.autodetailingsolutions.net/pcdvd.html
          Out of stock!

Darn the luck! But thanks for the link. I'll keep an eye out for it!

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');