• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wash Mitt Technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wash Mitt Technique

Something I've always been wondering and I've searched but didn't really find a specific answer. Since the goal is to not instill swirls in your finish in your first place, what is the proper wash mitt technique?

What I'm really curious is as to applied pressure; are you just using enough pressure to keep the mitt in contact, or should you put a little pressure behind it to "scrub" the paint?

Oh, and for the record I'm using a microfiber wash mitt with GC wash and a drop of ONR for good measure.

I'm not afraid of wiping my clean paint with SS to dry, but I'm petrified to touch it when it comes to washing for fear of swirls. I plan to pick up a lambswool mitt when I can find one locally.

Re: Wash Mitt Technique

Little to No Pressure should be applied. Just enough to loosen the dirt on the paint. You don't want to push dirt into your paint, causing swirls

Watch This:
    How To Wash A Car Show Car Style!
    Matt

Comment

What I typically do is put enough pressure to keep it on the surface and just glide across. I will go across each area with just one swipe, it doesn't need to be wiped back over multiple times if the first swipe got it clean. I do one panel per side of wash mit, then rinse the mit in the rinse bucket, and get more soapy water in the soap bucket.

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
      Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewc_11890 View Post
        What I typically do is put enough pressure to keep it on the surface and just glide across. I will go across each area with just one swipe, it doesn't need to be wiped back over multiple times if the first swipe got it clean. I do one panel per side of wash mit, then rinse the mit in the rinse bucket, and get more soapy water in the soap bucket.
        i do the exact same thing almolst
        Nick
        Tucker's Detailing Services
        815-954-0773
        2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Just behind my wheels take a little pressure sometimes, other than that, as little as possible.

I picked up a lamswool mitt, maybe it wasnt a great one, but wasnt happy. I like the Meguiars MF mitt much better.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

i try and glide the wash mitt over the paint and use the least amount of pressure as possible. Some wash mitts allow you to do this btter than others in my opinion.
            Nick
            Tucker's Detailing Services
            815-954-0773
            2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
              I picked up a lamswool mitt, maybe it wasnt a great one, but wasnt happy. I like the Meguiars MF mitt much better.
              Mine smells like a wet dog after I wring it out and set it up to dry.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                Just behind my wheels take a little pressure sometimes, other than that, as little as possible.

I try using as little pressure as possible, but I do have to apply some more when I am behind the wheels as well.

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
                Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

When I wash with ONR, I use just the weight of the microfiber wash mitt unless there is some dirt that doesn't come up with 4 passes.
                  AeroCleanse, LLC
                  Wisconsin's Elite Detailing Service
                  www.aerocleanse.com

Comment

Originally posted by ClearlyCoated View Post
                    Mine smells like a wet dog after I wring it out and set it up to dry.
                    The lambswool or the MF?
                    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

The weight of the mitt is all that is really needed.
                      quality creates its own demand

Comment

I currently use a Mother's lambswool and it requires very little pressure. It seems to glide across the paint. It is as if the wool gets very slick when it gets wet. It is beginning to wear a little so I am getting ready to get a Meguiar's MF mitt and see how it works.
                        2007 Dodge Nitro SLT

Comment

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Yesterday was the first time I've washed my new truck with water (used only ONR previously) and for some reason when using the ONR I can easily force myself to only make one pass with a microfiber to wash, and then a second pass only to dry. The problem seems to be when I pick up a wash mitt, I want to go back and forth multiple times....

I've noticed posts on here where you pre-coat the vehicle with a foaming gun, I may have to look into this. In the meantime I guess I need to [rpgram myself to only make one pass with my mitt.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');