• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

better than scratchX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• better than scratchX

hi all...this is my first post and i'd just like to get your opinion on a better product than scratchX in removing severe oxidation.

After reading Cam's extreme make over post on a 1981 Oldsmobile Toronado, I thought maybe our 1994 white lancer could have some potential. Anyway after going to a motorshow looking for colorX, the meguiar's guy suggested to try scratchX instead for removing severe oxidation.

Not sure if I'm doing it right, but the product didn't make a difference in removing oxidation. So, is there a better product line to use for removing oxidation on a white car? Don't have a photo of it but the rear door shows similar defects as the hood on Cam's beater. TIA.

You'll likely need at least a dual action (PC) to see a lot of progress.

In the meantime, if you stay within the Meguiars line, try Medallion Premium Paint cleaner or Body Scrub.
    my product collection-- New !
    My Detailing Credo
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Comment

to Meguiar's Online!

Did you work the product in thoroughly? ScratchX needs to be scrubbed until there's only very light residue (diminishing abrasives working). It's not like waxes where you just apply and wipe off..

If you can order the G-100, you'll have far more superior results compared to application by hand. Good luck and hope this helps.
      2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

thanks for the quick replies.

@bri: I was already sweating a lot so I guess my small frame (5'4") isn't enough to do job.

@Bill: I'll look into these products.

Anyway, the g-100 isn't available in our country, so for now it's elbow grease for me.

Thanks again.

Comment

Hi melancholy

Welcome to Meguiar's Online!

I would second what Bill D recommended, see if you can find either of these tow products,

Clear Coat Body Scrub Paint Cleaner

Or,

Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner

And then apply these using a piece of terry cloth towel. I don't know what you were applying the ScratchX product with, but if you were using a foam applicator, you might go back and try applying it with a piece of terry cloth towel. The little cotton loops that make up what is referred to as the nap can act as a gentle form of an abrasive giving your product of choice more cleaning strength.

Hope this helps...

Mike
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

MPPC is great stuff. It will definitely improve the look of your paint!

Chris
            Chris

"Once a Meguiar's user...always a Meguiar's user!"

1994 Accord

Comment

thanks mike and chris , I'll look into the body scrub/MPPC after trying the ScratchX again with the cloth towel.

@Mike: I was using those hi-tech applicator pads (W-0004). BTW, which one should I get first, the body scrub or MPPC?

TIA.

EDIT: Just an update....Mike, the cloth towel shows some promise. I was able to get a reflection on a portion of the door.
              Last edited by melancholy; Oct 12, 2004, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Help: I plan on using ScratchX about 30mins daily until I finish getting rid of all the oxidation. Is this plan safe or do I need to protect the cleaned portion with a wax first? TIA

Comment

Whatever areas you have cleaned/deoxidized to your satisfaction, yep do wax/seal. Continue on with the other areas as planned.
                  my product collection-- New !
                  My Detailing Credo
                  Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by melancholy
                    thanks mike and chris , I'll look into the body scrub/MPPC after trying the ScratchX again with the cloth towel.

@Mike: I was using those hi-tech applicator pads (W-0004). BTW, which one should I get first, the body scrub or MPPC?

TIA.

EDIT: Just an update....Mike, the cloth towel shows some promise. I was able to get a reflection on a portion of the door.
                    The Medallion offers a little bit more cleaning strength over the Clear Coat Body Scrub, but either one applied with a piece of terry cloth and worked-in well should give you excellent results.

Mike
                    Mike Phillips
                    760-515-0444
                    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');