• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When to use a cutting pad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to use a cutting pad?

I have attended several Meguiars classes since March, including the beginner and advanced classes as well as a few Thursday evening open garages. One question that crosses my mind is the subject of this thread: When do you use a cutting pad?

Since I have one of the new 7" (Softbuff 2.0) burgundy cutting pads that came with my G110 bundle, I'm curious to know when it should be applied. I realize it's a judgment call depending on the condition of the paint and what product you plan to use, but I haven't seen any of the three Meguiars Mikes use anything more abrasive than a polishing pad with Ultimate Compound on even the most hammered paint finishes that members have brought in for correction.

I'm planning to correct the finish on my completely paint-trashed '93 Civic soon (clayed only the hood this morning and that took nearly 40 minutes!!), so experimentation is afoot! But your suggestions are most welcome. The chemicals I plan to use include M105/205, but I could also go with 80/83, UC and Fine Cut Cleaner M02.

Re: When to use a cutting pad?

When you need it
    If your yellow pad isn't cutting it and your using M105
    You can switch to the Red and Scratch-X
    or on fiberglass
    It's just another tool for cutting
    If you don't need or use it then you don't need to
    Make sense?

Comment

It can also be used under a MF bonnet to remove wax.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
        It can also be used under a MF bonnet to remove wax.

This is the only time I use a cutting pad. For wax removal with a microfiber bonnet.
        quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');