• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wetsanding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wetsanding

I had a friend ask me about wetsanding in an email the other day. I personally have never wetsanded, but I said I could get him some advice back in a few days so I figured to ask you guys. This is what he asked:
    " Let me ask you a question: I usually use 1500 grit wet paper and 3M "Perfect-It" after painting a car. It gets a pretty shiny surface, but still leaves some swirl marks from the buffer after waxing. Do you have something you recommend for the final pass? "

I assume he is using a rotary when he refers to buffer. Just a guess but I am thinking he should go to a higher grit paper then follow with the 105/205 combo, but I have no clue as to pad choice.

Thanks, Andrew

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
    Remove swirls my friends.

Re: Wetsanding

Originally posted by andrewc_11890 View Post

Just a guess but I am thinking he should go to a higher grit paper then follow with the 105/205 combo, but I have no clue as to pad choice.

Thanks, Andrew

He only asked about swirls and not tracers or pigtails so should we assume he's getting all the sanding marks out?

Tracers, RIDS & Pigtails and Cobweb Swirls vs Rotary Buffer Swirls

A very good combo is to finish with #2000 but he can finish with #1500 if he likes), then cut with M105 with a wool cutting pad and the follow this with the M205 with a foam polishing or finishing pad.

After the above it should be pretty close to swirl free. If there are any light holograms after the second rotary buffer step then use the M205 again but only switch to applying it with a DA Polisher using a foam polishing pad.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');