• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pad's 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pad's 101

I notice that everyone makes sure to tell everyone use a CLEAN PAD! I have read up a lot on the cleaning techniques but i want to know how often a pad needs changing, assuming i clayed the car and the surface is decent can i use one pad (per assigment) for the whole car?
    "Every moment frontin and maxin
    Chillin in the car they spent all day waxin
    "

Re: Pad's 101

If using a PC as you go along the pad will get saturated with the product you are using. If the pad gets too saturated it will be harder to turn and will decrease the cleaning/cutting abitliy. Switching to a new clean pad will increase that again and be more efficient.

Think most of the pro's on here and the Mike's recommend at least 2 minimum of each pad you will be using, if not more.
    2008 Toyota Corolla 5-spd
    2005 Honda CRF250R
    2002 kawasaki Ninja ZX9R

Comment

How many pads you need depends upon what you're trying to do and personal preference...

If you're just applying a finishing wax to a car whose paint is already in great condition you only need one finishing pad.

If you're trying to remove the swirls out of a Prius then 2-6 pads for the swirl removal step would be a good range. If you're trying to remove the swirls out of a Ford Excursion then 2-12 pads would be a good range.

The reason for the range variable is because it's possible to only use one pad to remove all the swirls but it will take longer and that's because,
      • Removing swirls means removing a little paint.
      • Paint is removed best when the pad of a DA Polisher is rotating over the surface not just jiggling or vibrating against it.
      • As you work around the car the foam that makes up your pad will become wet with product
      • Wet foam tends to dissipate power which visually shows up to you and I as reduced rotating ability.

Less rotating = Less paint removed = More time to get the job done

You can fix the problem by simply switching to a dry pad, it doesn't have to be new, just clean and dry. After you switch to a dry pad you should notice how all of a sudden the pad is rotating better!

Just to note, this is true of any brand of foam pad, it's not the fault of the foam pad, it's just the nature of beast, the foam gets wet and basically soaks up the power coming out of the tool but instead of rotating against the paint it will just tend to vibrate against the paint.

So theoretically you could buff out a Ford Excursion with just one polishing pad but it would sure be faster and a more efficient use of your time to have a few extra clean, dry pads on hand to switch to as you work around the car.

Make sense?

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

This does, thanks again Mike. It is all starting to come together more and more, i can't thank you and everyone else enough for the AMAZING amount of help you can find here.
        "Every moment frontin and maxin
        Chillin in the car they spent all day waxin
        "

Comment

that is what we are all here for
          Fergy-

You're only as good as your last detail

Comment

what is the best way to clean the pads? I am getting ready to detail my Excursion
            Thanks
            Gino

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');