• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Detailing a car's roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detailing a car's roof

Curious what technique others use to properly buff out a roof using the DA. I tried a three-step stool today which helped. What do you do?
    Art Layton
    2009 Jetta TDI

Re: Detailing a car's roof

I just walk on the hood and start buffing..... . Actually, I use a step stool sitting parallel to the car and drape a towel over the side just in case. It sits about 2 feet off the ground which gives me enough room the reach half of the roof.

Comment

I use one of these for the roof, it beats hauling a step stool or ladder around and plus it cleans up nicely.

Nick
      Tucker's Detailing Services
      815-954-0773
      2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by matrixowner View Post
        Curious what technique others use to properly buff out a roof using the DA. I tried a three-step stool today which helped. What do you do?
        This may or not may be much help but since I'm 6'3" there's not a lot of help I need. I use a rubberized step-ladder commonly used in kitchens. It only has one step, but again, that's all I need. I tape a microfiber drying towel to the panel underneath where I'm working in case I brush up against it...

Comment

For Suvs or lifted trucks i have a 4 or 6 ft ladder both are fiberglass and both have 1in pipe insulation covering the conors . The insulation is black foam stuff thats Ty -raped in place incase of rub.

Comment

Small step stool and i can barley reach half way over my civic.

My roof vibrates like crazy when i get to the middle of it using the g110. It gets loud as heck too. I think the DA matches the resonant frequency or something like that.

Comment

defiantly need a step stool

Comment

I just bought this product called the De-Fender, a rear bumper protective covering that's designed to protect a car's rear bumper cover from minor contact impacts. I need to modify it a little. The inner surface is smooth rubber, I'm thinking of using double-sided contact tape to fasten a microfiber drying towel to the inner surface.

I have no offstreet parking and the residences on my street are filled with college student rentals. Bumper contact is a common occurrence on my street and I bought this to give me a little peace of mind when someone parks too close to my car.

But as you can see in the pics below, the cover can be adapted for use other than the rear bumper. Reading this thread gave me the idea to possibly use this product to protect my doors and fenders while polishing the roof

Comment

I use a platform ladder. It is abgout 3 foot wide and it is adjustable. Works well.
                  quality creates its own demand

Comment

Been using this for few yrs now :

Comment

Originally posted by dragonballz View Post
                      Small step stool and i can barley reach half way over my civic.

My roof vibrates like crazy when i get to the middle of it using the g110. It gets loud as heck too. I think the DA matches the resonant frequency or something like that.
                      did a sentra that did that, holey moley
                      2008 Toyota Corolla 5-spd
                      2005 Honda CRF250R
                      2002 kawasaki Ninja ZX9R

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');