• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M105 not working well??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M105 not working well??

I am trying to do some paint correction on an older fox body Mustang with a 2 yr old repaint on it. Paint overall in really good shape just your basic swirling and the odd mild scratching from daily use and car washing. Dark blue in colour. Anyways didn't think it needed too much in the way off an aggressive approach so I went with 8 inch yellow Megs pad and the new 105. Work light wasn't with me but it looked shiny even before I used any finishing polish. I guess that should have tipped my off because following a finish polish and some sealant a trip outdoors revealed that most of the original defects were still present. I usually lay a good size stripe along the finish and polish around 1000 to 1200 rpm. I don't count passes but usually work until the product more or less becomes opaque. I don't use alot of downward pressure on the pad and I keep the pad moving fairly briskly. Not so fast that it nots creating frictioin becuase the paint is fairly warm when I am done, but don't want to burn through. I want a slightly hazy finish after this product is working correctly, right? I can live with having to clean it up with another product but I want the blemishes removed. Any good videos showing buffer speed of movement and amount of product for basic 2 X 2 area?

Pat.

Re: M105 not working well??

I'm sure others will chime in with better explanations, but if you didn't think you needed an aggressive approach, the M105 may not have been your best option for the job. M105 is the most aggressive of the Meguiars cleaning compounds.If your paint was in really good shape, you might have wanted to use cleaner/polish like M205 or maybe M80.

Also, light or no pressure and moving rather briskly is likely contributing to your results. Slow deliberate cross hatch movements over a smaller area (18"x18") will produce better results, but only if you're using a dual action polisher. With M205, you would need to apply 10-15 lbs of pressure on the pad. But it sounds like you're using a rotary as opposed to a dual action polisher. The rotary can burn through to the paint with enough pressure and speed, hence your well heeded caution and comment that the paint felt warm. A dual action polisher has safety features built in that prevent this from happening and allows you dial up the speed for better results.

Comment

Hi Pat,

Just to be sure, did buff out the entire car or just a portion of it?

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by pricha00 View Post
        Anyways didn't think it needed too much in the way off an aggressive approach so I went with 8 inch yellow Megs pad and the new 105.

I don't use alot of downward pressure on the pad and I keep the pad moving fairly briskly.
        You're post reads like you're using a rotary buffer, if it's something else let us know...

Our Yellow pad is a polishing pad and with an aggressive product like M105 that's a pretty aggressive combo, not near as aggressive as switching to a foam cutting pad or a wool cutting pad and it could be that you'll need a more aggressive pad to remove the defects out of the paint.

Moving the buffer briskly with little pressure would also be part of the problem, you want to move the buffer slower and apply some pressure to the head of the buffer while keeping the pad flat to the surface.

If you have a quality wool pad, maybe give it a try?

Also, do what we call a Test Spot and then check your work in two kinds of light even if it means driving your car out of the garage and into the sun. It's better to confirm your process is working versus buff out the entire car only to find out it's not working.

Originally posted by pricha00 View Post
        I want a slightly hazy finish after this product is working correctly, right? I can live with having to clean it up with another product but I want the
        Not in my experience and not in any of the results I've seen others achieve. Used correctly, the M105 is designed to finish out to a high gloss, low swirl finish, in most case that I can think of when M105 is being applied using a rotary buffer, the clarity, gloss and shine are so good most people would think you just polished and waxed the car.

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

This footage was filmed and edited by Shawn aka MaximusZTS from a Thursday Night Class held on April 26th, 2007

Wetsanding Video 1

Wetsanding Video 2

Wetsanding Video 3

Wetsanding Video 4

Wetsanding Video 5

They will show you how fast to move the rotary buffer and how much downward pressure to apply.

TEST SPOT

Doing A Test-Spot

Before going over the entire car, see if you can make just one small section look good, that is apply the product you're planning on using over the entire car to just one small section about a foot squared or so. Work it in and then wipe it off, then apply the polish, work it in but not as much as the compound because now you're not trying to remove paint, just spread the product out, then immediately wipe it off, then apply the wax and let it fully dry and then wipe it off.

Now inspect our results. Make sure you can make one small section look GREAT before going over then entire car. If you can't make one small section look GREAT you won't be able to make the entire car look GREAT.

Make sense?

It should look like this,

And if you're having any problems, the post back here after the test section and we'll help you tweak your technique to insure you get it right.
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Yes Mike using Makita 9227C rotary. Did horizontal surfaces. Hood, roof and trunklid. Used yellow pad on hood and roof, and tried purple pad on trunklid. All did seem to finish glossy with little haze but didn't quite see the amount of correction that I expected from an aggressive product. Followed up with a polish and its look good but not as good as I had hoped. Mike I wonder if I am using too much product? After the initial spreading should it be just a super thin coating or should I still be able to clearly see a fair amount of product? I will check out the videos you posted. I wish Meguiars would host a clinic in my area, I would learn so much by seeing and doing with professional instruction. Learning now by hit and miss.

Pat.

Comment

See here. http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...hlight=priming
              ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');