• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clay Bar Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clay Bar Question

I read on autopia.org that a clay bar should be cut into three pieces, use one and throw it away(depending on how dirty the car is). Is this true? Also, can I buy replacement clay bars at auto stores or do I have to order them? I bought the smooth surface clay bar kit and it worked great but I don't want to overuse the clay bar and scratch my paint. Thanks guys.

Re: Clay Bar Question

You can do that if you want.
    Sounds like a good idea

Comment

It's a judgment call on when a piece of clay becomes unusable. A good indicator is when you knead the clay, does it still feel smooth, or can you feel tiny grit? If you're not kneading it (folding it back into itself to produce a fresh surface) then you do run the risk of possibly scratching your finish.

Comment

My thoughts on this...

Don't clay unless you're ready to do some type of paint correction, either by polish or cleaner wax. I've ran across too many paints that scratch like hell by only using clay. 99% of the time, a cleaner wax(151, ColorX) applied by machine is enough to repair any damage caused by the clay. But I do not clay unless I'm prepared to do some mild paint correction.

Nick

Edit: This does not mean that you are going to scratch your car by only claying.
        2008 Meguiar's Batmobile Team
        2008 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
        2009 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team
        2010 Meguiar's/Ford SEMA Team

Comment

One aspect of cutting it into pieces is if you drop the clay you will have a backup and not have to throw all the clay away.
          Al
          ~ Providing biased opinions

Comment

I cut it into 3 pieces and kneed it in such a way so I have a handle I can hold between my thumb and pinky and then have my remaining 3 fingers to work the clay. I'll typically only use a piece for one detailing session. The two bars in the smooth surface kit last about 3 - 4 details for me.

Comment

I try to get the clay into 3 pieces. Seems to last that way. Also I not as worried if I drop it. Plenty of back up.
              quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');