• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ColorX DA application technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ColorX DA application technique

As previously mentioned, I applied ColorX to my mother's car on Friday. I wanted to highlight its paint cleansing abilities, so I applied the ColorX with my G110 with a polishing pad at speed 5. I used about the same amount of wax as I would have a polish (a circle around the outside of the pad or an X).

I found that I could only get a couple of passes before it seemed to dry on me. Consequently, I stopped after two or three passes and went on to the next section.

Does that sound about right? How might I have improved my technique? TIA.

Al
    Last edited by akimel; May 4, 2009, 07:02 AM.
    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
    --Al Kimel

Re: ColorX DA application technique

First off congrats on your 1000th post!

I would suggest trying speed three as it is a cleaner wax and dive may be too fast for it. I normally use three with color x and no problems with it drying on me.

I once put swirls in my paint just to see what it looked like.

I don't always detail cars, but when I do, I prefer Meguiar's.
    Remove swirls my friends.

Comment

Actually, when using a cleaner/wax by machine for correction work you want the higher speeds and extra power to rotate the pad and thus work the chemical cleaners and the abrasives against the paint.

How large of an area are you tackling at one time?

If it's warm in your area, try shrinking your work area down and see if you can get 4 to 6 passes and still have a wet film.

I'm sure you're aware of this but others that might read this into the future, when you start with a clean dry pad a portion of your product is going to seep into the pad and thus not be available on the surface to be worked but as you continue to apply subsequent applications of product to the pad you'll find the product will buff longer as there will be a more wet working environment on the surface.

Also, because it is a wax you normally would want the wax to dry before removing.

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

mike , what pad should he use ?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew C. View Post
          First off congrats on your 1000th post!
          Thanks! I hadn't even noticed that I had reached the 1,000 post mark. That is a milestone of sorts, isn't it? Just goes to show that one can write lots of words without ever saying anything or without knowing what one is talking about.
          Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
          --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
            How large of an area are you tackling at one time?
            I was probably working 16"x16" sections.

I may have been excessively cautious. Given the white color of the car and the poor lighting of the garage, it was often difficult for me to see how much product was actually on the surface. I didn't want to polish to a dry buff, and I wanted to make sure that there was wax left on the surface.

But I did think at the time that maybe I should have been getting more than two or three passes a section. Working the ColorX is a bit different, isn't it, than working, say, M80.

I thought about shrinking my sections, but I was working under a time limit. I was pleased with the results--when my niece saw the car she noticed the pearl for the first time--but I'm sure they were not as good as they would have been if I had done the job properly. Next time I will try to find a way to get a couple more passes in per section.

Thanks, Mike.

Al
            --Al Kimel

Comment

Originally posted by theracer View Post
              mike , what pad should he use ?

thanks
              On a clear coat finish a polishing pad.

If a person were using a cleaner/wax on a gel-coat finish or a single stage finish and removing oxidation then either a polishing pad or a foam cutting pad.

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');