• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multiple Coats of Sealant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Coats of Sealant

Once I get my new Meguiar's cleaning supplies I'm going to be applying 2 coats of the NXT 2.0 sealant (after the full wash, clean, polish) which was recommended here, is there a time frame I must wait to apply the second coat? I read on another site that you should wait 12-18 hours. That is quite a long time; in that time frame, where I live, the truck will already have a layer of dust accumulated on it. I'm hoping that site is wrong and you only need to wait a couple of hours at the most. Any insite would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Multiple Coats of Sealant

12 hours or overnight is ideally.

I usually wait at least an hour before putting on the next coat.

What I do is wax, work on interior, refill my bottles, clean my pads, put my stuff away in it's ordered fashion then wax again (usually an hour or two, depending on mess in the interior).
    Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

Originally posted by brims View Post
      Once I get my new Meguiar's cleaning supplies I'm going to be applying 2 coats of the NXT 2.0 sealant (after the full wash, clean, polish) which was recommended here, is there a time frame I must wait to apply the second coat? I read on another site that you should wait 12-18 hours. That is quite a long time; in that time frame, where I live, the truck will already have a layer of dust accumulated on it. I'm hoping that site is wrong and you only need to wait a couple of hours at the most. Any insite would be appreciated. Thanks.
      The 12 hour wait time would be the ideal amount of time to insure all polymers have completely bonded to the surface. It's a window of time but by no means is it "sacred" or a hard and fast rule. Obviously with a customer's car, I normally cannot wait 12 hours to reapply so I usually apply the first coat...spend the next 45 minutes to an hour picking up, organizing, touching up wheels or interior, etc...and then apply the second coat.

You can let it sit for a few hours if you want and then go back and hit it again. Or you could wait overnight, give it a quick rinse in the morning to remove the dust, and reapply the second coat.

Comment

if i let it sit overnight can i use UQD to wipe of the dust and then wax?
        would it be better than washing or hosing the dust off?

Comment

Originally posted by Executionerhk View Post
          if i let it sit overnight can i use UQD to wipe of the dust and then wax?
          would it be better than washing or hosing the dust off?
          You could QD it but I like the quick rinse so there's nothing to potentially abrade the paint...but I've seen people use both methods.

Comment

Originally posted by Bounty View Post
            You could QD it but I like the quick rinse so there's nothing to potentially abrade the paint...but I've seen people use both methods.

then i will be a little anal to do a quick rinse then clean with UQD and the wax... better clean then sorry, i am thinking doing two coat wax at least 2 times a year when summer comes and before winter comes i think it is good enough. maybe i will wax it in the middle with 1 coat after a good wash.

1 more question, do i have to use polish everytime before wax?
            or only when there are swirls on the car?

i only havet o clay when i feel the paint and feel like it needed to be clay.

Comment

Oh that's right, with the sealant bonded to the paint, it wouldn't come off with just a quick rinse. That works. I'll see which way I like best. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Polish is not necessary everytime. A cleaner is what you're looking for if you're trying to remove defects. But if the paints still to your liking after a wash, then go ahead and apply just a coat of wax.
                Alex C.

Comment

Like Nappers stated 12 hours is ideal. However, I agree with the rest. After I apply the First coat I usually start on the interior or do a mixture of small jobs to pass the time. After about a hour I apply the second coat.
                  quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');