• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OTC degreaser...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OTC degreaser...

I had a question about getting an OTC degreaser, maybe someone can recommend something.

Weeks back I was doing an older car and the door jam joints were all caked up with dirt, grease and grime. I tried both APC and APC+, light agitation with a soft brush and a warm water rinse. The results were just average.

I could not remove all of the caked on grime. Often, I was just smearing it around. I think I need something a bit stronger (Both APC's were diluted to pretty strong levels - I think 4:1).

So, has anyone had any good luck with OTC degreasers that I could use in the door jams? Let me know what has worked for you and the process you used on really gunked up areas. Thanks.
    ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Re: OTC degreaser...

Super Degreaser comes to mind. I've only been able to find it online though.
    Alex C.

Comment

I always have APC+, Super Degreaser, Simple Green, and Purple Power on my shelf. If one doesn't work than I'll try another. In the end, one of these, or a combination of these do the job on 95% of anything I come across.
      keep in mind that besides detailing I collect and restore classic cars as a hobby so I'm always coming across something that is very dirty, greasy, caked on mess, etc, many times 30-45 years old and tough to remove but these cleaners almost always get the job done.
      What am I, fly-paper for morons?

Comment

Well APC+ didn't do the job and I don't have Super Degreaser and I've tried Simple Green and wasn't fond of it... That leaves me with purple power... I'm wondering if I can get it OTC in Canada. Will have to check.
        ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

I prefer APC+, it's the best IMHO. In a pinch I've used Orange Blast from walmart with really good results too...plus it's cheap

Comment

Originally posted by kerrinjeff View Post
            I prefer APC+, it's the best IMHO. In a pinch I've used Orange Blast from walmart with really good results too...plus it's cheap
            I agree, the orange blast was a last minute buy for me @ Wally World and it seemed to hold up pretty well.
            "Every moment frontin and maxin
            Chillin in the car they spent all day waxin
            "

Comment

Do you have any Megs Body Solvent? Body solvent is pretty good at breaking down petroleum based products.

If you do not have any body solvent maybe you could try a little bit of mineral spirits. If it's greasy like you say, mineral spirits should break it down pretty easily. It should not hurt the paint, but just to be safe test a small spot first to make sure.
              Brian

Comment

I've used Simple Green and had luck with it on some things and not so on others. A few weeks ago I picked up some Extreme Simple Green Aircraft & Precision Cleaner at Home Depot. I've used it twice and love it so far.

The basic SG isn't safe for aluminum so be careful. The SG Aircraft & Precision Cleaner is safe on aluminum and just about everything else.
                Scott

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');