• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question!

I just wet sanded my car that came back from the body shop, I just started to buff out the roof a few hours. I'm using the Makita 9227C Polisher that a buddy of mine lent me to do the car. I actually own a Porter Cable 7424.

I'm using these products:

I am using the white 3M Perfect-It Plus Foam Compounding Pad with 3M Perfect-It 3000 Rubbing Compound.

Question is, I started to buff the roof tonight and I ended up just applying the compound onto the pad and I swirled a little bit of it on the 2x2 area before turning it on. I turned it on around 1,200rpm's and began to buff the compound in. The results came out good but the extra work from having to go back and clean up the compound that splatter all over the car.

I'm wondering is it because I'm fairly short--5'7 and I'm not actually above the Makita to make sure that Its staying flat on the surface. I'm going to use a stool next time to see if I get better results as this is the first time I've wet sanded a car so I'm learning as I go along.

But what can I do to prevent the compound to splatter. Is it cause I'm not above it or is it the design of the 3M Perfect-It Plus Foam Compounding Pad, or can it be from me applying to much compound onto the pad. How much should I use by the way?

Here are a few pictures if anyone wanted to know what I was working on;;;

The white has been sanded down, I still have to put the tail lights in, the window molding and put the mirrors back down and wash the car down.

I sanded the car down with 2,000 grit and I used meguiars #62 instead of strait water I just used some Carwash Shampoo & Conditioner.

At any rate I set a tent up over the car about two hours ago. I don't want to do it in direct sunlight but my garage is a little packed with the rest of the car so the option of storing it into my garage isn't a option. I was thinking of doing it around 8:30 - 9:00 at night, I have a bunch of Florence Lights that I can hang from the tent. How ever I really don't want to do that but I live in Florida and around 3:00 the sun has already heated my car up a great amount.

Also does anyone think that the second stage in the 3M products will give me justice or should I just use #9 Meguiars after I'm done with the stage 1 of the 3M.

It only just clicked in my head since I can't wax the car for 90 days, hypothetically speaking could I do 3M Stage 1, #9 Meguiars then Meguiars #21 Synthetic Sealant 2.0 or Meguiars Mirror Glaze #20 Polymer Sealant .

Let me know, thanks!

I'll post pictures as I go.

- Joe

Re: Question!

If anyone can answer this, that would be great. I plan to buff out the car on Sunday leading into Monday. The sooner the answer the better

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

Sorry I can not help you with the 3M products.
        I do not know them at all.
        Some one else will chime in
        Joel
        Firefighter/EMT-B
        Rejuvenation Auto Detailing
        "Satisfaction Guaranteed or Your Dirt Back!!!"
        '99 F-150

Comment

Cant really help you, but maybe if you have to keep going the same way, you want to tape things off, tape some newspaper down on areas, etc, to keep it clean.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I'm going to try to wash the car down when I wake up, I have paper left from taping the car up in the booth I'll just do the same to the windows because its a pain in the *** to have to keep cleaning up the splatter marks.

At any rate is #9 a decent product to use for sanding down 2000grit scratches.

Comment

Originally posted by jt_productions View Post
              I'm going to try to wash the car down when I wake up, I have paper left from taping the car up in the booth I'll just do the same to the windows because its a pain in the rear to have to keep cleaning up the splatter marks.

At any rate is #9 a decent product to use for sanding down 2000grit scratches.
              No. You will want to use M105 to remove the sanding marks.

Use M105 rather than the 3M compound.

The reason you got splatter was likely a combination of too much speed and too much product. Start slowly until the product is spread, and then pick up the speed.

Have you ever cut and buffed a car before? This is a very serious project.

Are you experienced with a rotary?

Comment

Remember to always keep the pad flat to the surface and to clean the pad often.

If this is your first time using a rotary buffer, I would tape of and cover everything. This can make it easier to clean.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
                  Have you ever cut and buffed a car before? This is a very serious project.

Are you experienced with a rotary?
                  I was thinking the same thing. Some of the comments made by the OP (borrowing the Makita, problems with splatter) would seem to indicate that he might not have much experience with a rotary. Also a very ambitious project to try to get done in one day, or even one weekend.

Comment

Today was fun, I ended up not liking the results that I seen. It has nothing to do with the product but the fact I didn't sand enough of the orange peel off. I'm heading out to the store now to pick up 1500 grit rather then the 2000 grit I used before I'm going to try 1500 I seen areas I did perfect then areas I didn't. I'm going to redo the car tomorrow but here are pictures.

Thats the start of the day, roughly 1:00 PM

thats how much I ended up sanding off the roof, I don't think its enough.

Then the final out come:

Just a little teaser for a few who PM'ed me to ask:

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');