• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paint Neglection: My Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Neglection: My Project

I picked up a 1997 Eclipse from a childhood friend of mine. He loved the car but for the past 6-7 years he didn't really maintain it. Right now it's garaged due to the mechanical work that needs to be done with it, but the paint is something I need to definitely look in to fixing.

I've used Meguiars on my cars for years. I've always dealt with cars with an already clean finish so I've spent my time just maintaining, never restoring. I've been doing some research and I'm pretty sure I know what I need to do.

That said, I'm hoping that someone here can re-affirm my thoughts on the process to follow.

First, the really bad spots:

Minus the dust, you'll see the reflection from the trunk lid is significantly better than the spoiler. The spoiler is in pretty bad shape (very oxidized).

Speaks for itself...

Here's the process I was going to follow:

Wash
    Clay
    Ultimate Compound
    Wax

Is there anything else that you guys can recommend I do to try and remedy these two bad spots? Overall the car's paint is in really good shape, just needs some TLC. Just these two things that need some special attention.

Thanks!
    1997 Eclipse GS-T Spyder

Re: Paint Neglection: My Project

In the second picture, seems like you have clear coat failure.
    If it´s this, then there is really no way to fix it other than repainting the panel.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing. Oxidation would indicate a single stage paint. Do the color test and determine if it's clear coat or single stage.

Comment

Originally posted by yalerd View Post
        In the second picture, seems like you have clear coat failure.
        If it´s this, then there is really no way to fix it other than repainting the panel.

Check out this thread, they pretty much cover everything in it.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=29024

good luck!!!
        Red 99 SS Camaro - 578 RWHP 611 FT/LBS

"..If you do not strive to be the best at what you do, why do it at all?"

Comment

Hmm, interesting.

Thanks for the link b00g, tons of great info in that thread. I was hoping that this wasn't actual clear coat failure. I've never really had to deal with a car with paint problems before so I just hoped it was severe oxidation that could be fixed.

I guess I'm in for a bigger ride than I thought I was in. I knew I'd have to repaint parts of the body anyway, so I'll just add this to the list of things to repaint. I still need to give the car itself a nice once-over and I'm excited to start working on that. I think that will be a huge transformation in itself once I can get the rest of the paint healthy again.
          1997 Eclipse GS-T Spyder

Comment

Originally posted by turb0z View Post
            Hmm, interesting.

Thanks for the link b00g, tons of great info in that thread. I was hoping that this wasn't actual clear coat failure. I've never really had to deal with a car with paint problems before so I just hoped it was severe oxidation that could be fixed.

I guess I'm in for a bigger ride than I thought I was in. I knew I'd have to repaint parts of the body anyway, so I'll just add this to the list of things to repaint. I still need to give the car itself a nice once-over and I'm excited to start working on that. I think that will be a huge transformation in itself once I can get the rest of the paint healthy again.
            No problem, Clearcoat failure is not the end of the world

Good luck with the project!!! I was lead painter in a shop for a while and worked in several rod shops and resto shops. My passion for detailing when I was younger is what got me interested and lead to my profession in the trade. Maybe this will lead to you having a paint gun in your hands!!

Shoot me a PM if you need anything!!!

Thanks..
            Red 99 SS Camaro - 578 RWHP 611 FT/LBS

"..If you do not strive to be the best at what you do, why do it at all?"

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');