• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Washing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Washing

Hey guys, I detailed my car in March and I've gotten a few scratches that I would like to buff out so I thought I'd wax again.

However, being that I live in AZ the temperatures are 100+ outside (90+ in the morning!) and the schedule I'm on at the moment really limits the time I can put aside to detail the outside of my car. So I wanted to ask if this was fine.

What I plan to do is drive through a local carwash at night and then in the morning use Meguiars Quik Detailer and wipe it down and then wax it. I may use Scratch X and do that around the car before I wax it. Is this ok? I don't really want to end up messing up my paint somehow lol.

Thanks for any help!

PS:
    Since I'm limited on time, would ColorX be a better solution for me since it contains a scratch remover and a wax? Which would you recommend between the ColorX and the combination of ScratchX+Gold Class WAX

Thanks!

Re: Dry Washing

Yes, QD can be used to remove light overnight dust.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Make sure though that you go ahead and dry the car when you wash it at night. That way, the surface will only have very light dust on the surface that has accumulated overnight.

I only say that because I see way too many people at the quarter car wash drive off without drying their cars.

ColorX, even though a strong cleaner wax, won't have as much 'oomph' as using a dedicated paint cleaner as ScratchX. Depends on how bad the surface is.
      1998 Supermarine Blue Pearl Honda CR-V

Comment

You'll have to ScratchX the bad spots, then ColorX and wax everything.

You might even want to just spot clean the bad spots now, and ScratchX them. Once you get the few bad spots fixed up over the course of a day or two or whatever, then go to the car wash and come back to ColorX/Wax everything.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Haha, this guy sounds like me.

Check out my threads:

General Auto Detailing Discussion. Participate in existing discussion or start a new thread with your question.

Comment

Not sure where in AZ you will be taking your car through the car wash, but be careful as a lot of the car washes here are worse than ones I've seen elsewhere when it comes to replacing brushes and keeping up on their maintenance. (This is assuming we are not talking about the quarter car washes)

Also, with the QD the following morning just be careful as the dry conditions of the valley often make for a dustier environment than you'd see in a lot of places and you don't want to be installing swirl marks into your cars.

Comment

Originally posted by techjazz View Post
              Make sure though that you go ahead and dry the car when you wash it at night. That way, the surface will only have very light dust on the surface that has accumulated overnight.

I only say that because I see way too many people at the quarter car wash drive off without drying their cars.

ColorX, even though a strong cleaner wax, won't have as much 'oomph' as using a dedicated paint cleaner as ScratchX. Depends on how bad the surface is.
              Yeah I'll make sure that I thorougly (sp?) dry it as soon as I get out of the wash.

Originally posted by xantonin View Post
              Haha, this guy sounds like me.

Check out my threads:

General Auto Detailing Discussion. Participate in existing discussion or start a new thread with your question.

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33037
              Yeah living in AZ and driving a black car, well lets just say it isn't too fun haha.

Originally posted by IMSHAKN View Post
              Not sure where in AZ you will be taking your car through the car wash, but be careful as a lot of the car washes here are worse than ones I've seen elsewhere when it comes to replacing brushes and keeping up on their maintenance. (This is assuming we are not talking about the quarter car washes)

Also, with the QD the following morning just be careful as the dry conditions of the valley often make for a dustier environment than you'd see in a lot of places and you don't want to be installing swirl marks into your cars.
              Yeah I know of a carwash that was put in not too long ago and it does a great job, I'm friends with the owner of the wash and know that it is kept in tip top shape.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');